Author Topic: Taking out set  (Read 5686 times)

Offline newknapper

Re: Taking out set
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 12:12:10 am »
Can you show us some pics?

I will try to get some pics tomorrow

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 09:54:14 am »
Ditto. 2" of set makes a sweet shooting bow sometimes. It may be a bit slower than if it were straight or reflexed, but accuracy is more important than speed IMO. A bit of set will make it more stable, also. If it's shooting good, I'd leave it alone. Besides, as was said, once the wood cells are compressed, they're not going to uncompress. I've flipped the tips up on a couple that had some set, a good way to add a bit more speed fairly easily.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jr 56

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 01:20:28 pm »
Great topic, being that I am a reformed set-addict! Wasted to much time obsessing over  1" or less set. I noticed my group sizes opened up the more time I spent obsessing and less time shooting. 2" and under on a shot in hunting weight bow is fine. I well placed shot beats out 5 fps anytime.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 06:19:26 pm »
A bit of set or string follow, can be seen as a good thing :o, it shows you are getting the maximum out of the wood.
I've seen longbows made far too long with barely any curve at full draw, I always think of how much wasted wood is being accelerated and how much extra strain it could take.
Trying to take it out will do no good at all.
I've tried adding recurved tips to a bow with some set, and guess what...it just took a bit more set to make up for the recurve!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 06:49:12 pm »
Enjoy your bow in good health. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!