Author Topic: Beginner  (Read 4176 times)

jojo2676

Beginner
« on: July 22, 2009, 03:34:51 pm »
I just got my tools and am about to attempt my first arrow head with glass. I have a question though that someone out there should know. Is red or gray slate knappable at all? I have a piece of each and I dont want to waste my time on it if its junk.

Thanks,
Joey

Offline Jaeger

Re: Beginner
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 03:47:09 pm »
I am a short timer too ,but I read a book that had an ulu knife made from ground down slate , I can tell you wear some gloves that glass is good to learn on but it will bleed you and it feels like thorns poking you so be very carful.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 04:56:14 pm »
I have some black slate in my building that I tried to work on.  It really needs to be cut with a tile saw and ground to shape.  Then you may be able to pop a few flakes around the edges.

jojo2676

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 12:06:42 am »
Well I had a smaller piece of obsidian that I got from 3 Rivers so I decided to try my luck with it this evening. Wound up with alot of broken rock. LOL  I have to admit that this knapping is alot harder than it looks. Its fun though.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 07:01:02 am »
Keep at it,  I'm a beginner as well.  I had no luck starting with obs.  I still can't do much of anything with it besides making rubble.  I found it much easier to start with some harder stone.  I like it because it is more forgiving if you miss hit it (which I do often). 
Traverse City, MI

jojo2676

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 11:59:09 am »
Well all I have available right now is glass and obsidian. I need to go rock hunting but I'm still researching on knappable material so that I know what to look for.

jojo2676

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 09:55:44 pm »
Can anyone share their experiences with Neolithics? Are they pretty good to order from?

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 09:57:27 pm »
Excellent ,a plus rate in my book  ,Craig Ratzat of neolithics, to do buisness with.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 10:23:36 pm »
Joey, I  think you would be wasting your time with the slate, comes off in layers. When I first started obsidian seemed pretty brittle but I did better with dacite which also is a volcanic type of glass but seems to be tougher than obsidian, an it,s not real pricey. Craig is good to deal with an I,m real happy with the stuff I get from Eric,s Rocks also. Don,t give up It just takes time an alot of rock. Remember this is a hobby of tonnage. Good Luck Bob

Offline II BYRDS

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 03:47:30 am »
don't give up. i am new at it also started about a year ago or so. a good friend of mine has been teaching me, his great grand dad was a tool maker of the Cherokee. him and his grandfather use to make Osage youth bows and arrows for the children @ one of the reservations when he was a kid. he told me he likes the rock he gets from south Texas from Bill Metcalfe he passed away this last summer but his good life time friend is still selling rock.  always can nap on some toilet tanks!!! 

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 04:32:11 pm »
I have been chippin for about 4 months total ,I started last year in july I think but I quit about september , I would suggest if you want to learn pressure get some cherry quartz it pressure knapps the best for me,I need to get to practicing/learning  percussion , I have not done much of that.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jreb

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 07:47:25 pm »
jaeger is that cherry from slabs or raw material , it looks like killer stuff , i would like some if you have any to get rid of if anyone else has any good grade same stuff to get rid of pm me please . thanks- john

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 07:51:14 pm »
neolithics.com ,from Craig Ratzat ,it is slabs , very easy to knapp.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 11:50:33 pm »
just go to garage sales and find as many old glass cake pans,pie pans as you can.
most times you can get them for less than $1 each,
they work pretty much like obsidion and its cheap

i have only been doing this since last january,have gone thru lots of obsidion.it was tough at first to get the hang of
but after 6 months or so i tun out some fairly decent looking points/blades.
its like the old saying of " how do you get to play at Carnegie Hall? practice practice practice"
the same goes with knapping,lots of rok and even more practice.
i give it two hours every day and now i make atleast one point a day,or i brake three.

thats another piece of good advise,when your knapping and things just dont seem to be going your way.
put everything down and go do something else for awhile and then give it another "whack"(pun intended)

good luck                                                  peace,
                                                                    tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

jojo2676

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 02:05:44 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys. You all are a really nice lot of folks.