Author Topic: sinew ?  (Read 4017 times)

Offline catfishon

sinew ?
« on: October 23, 2009, 07:06:33 pm »
never used it on a bow yet. but am wanting to try and nows the time to collect it .
tell me how ?
what i mean is what do i do after i take it off the deers leg / just hang it to dry or is there more ?
                                                                                                    thanks for any info
                                                                                                           john       

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: sinew ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 11:12:43 pm »
It only takes a few days to dry. You can tell when it is dry because it is yellowish and translucent.  I have dried sinew on my work table in the sun or on top of the frig. Put it somewhere that animals can't get to it or they will. Once dry store it until you are ready to use it.
  To use leg sinews you will have to break it up first. With a hammer or round stone pound it until the outer casing splits. Remove the casing and divide the tendons into workable size fiber bundles.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline catfishon

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 05:33:58 am »
thanks pat
i kinda know what to do with it when ready for a bow .
just wasnt sure if there was a trick to dryin it or not

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 11:24:22 am »
 Hey John, here is a link to a bow I did a buildalong and used sinew It may help some.  This was just after I had open heart surgery and I made this one for the heart surgeon. I was documenting the journey for him so you'll have to overlook the goofing around.  Keenan

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1346.msg14212.html#msg14212
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:28:26 am by Keenan »