Author Topic: another hickory board bow  (Read 7619 times)

Dustybaer

Re: another hickory board bow
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 03:16:41 pm »
danke frank  ;D

justaim, thanks, but i like your bow better.  that's one purty bow!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 04:12:01 pm »
Looks real nice.  I've been working the hickory for awhile myself.  I posted a D-bow Choctaw replica month or so ago and I cut a groove into the back of that bow, also.  Couple people questioned it.  Theoretically, probably not the top idea and I considered it at the time.  Last night I was perusing TBB2 and looked at that bow again.  I was surprised to see that the bow pictured in TBB2 has grooves cut on the back.  I'm thinkin' since it's not a growth ring on the back of hickory bows and with it's toughness its probably iis fine.  I'm not doing it anymore, though.  Can see why it's not a great habit to get into.

Really like the bow.  Find the handle wrap really interesting, thanks.

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 05:00:53 pm »
 Hey, Marius. I'm not a big fan of Hickory but you nailed that bow, it look's great. I'm curious if that fast flight cuts the nock off. It did it to an Osage of mine and I didn't cut into the back. Looking forward to meeting you next year, I'll see if I can bring you up some gator and hogs to try.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 06:56:19 pm »
Gator, hog and Strohs &PBR how can you refuse an offer like that eh ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 07:01:58 pm »
Hows about some Good Ole Fashion Texas Range... Branding Fire Cooked Rocky Mountain Oysters ....straight from the Source.... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

AKAPK

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 02:12:30 am »
Your Praised, Excellent work On the Bow and Grip,Have a beer for me, I can't Drink Beer.Phillip

Dustybaer

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 03:03:53 am »
thanks guys. 

that handle wrap is one of the fastest ways to finish a handle (at least for me).  just two leather laces of different color (i think i got these from 3 rivers) and within two minutes it's done.  it adjusts very well to the shaped grip (which i built by gluing stripes of leather onto each other and then shaped with a knife).

on the nocks: i forgot to mention, that this bow was laid out with perpendicular growth rings, so i hope the risk i'm taking is not to great. 

mullet, i added a few strands of artificial sinnew into my flemish splice, to make the string thicker at the nocks.  i hope that will help prevent the cutting.  we will see  ;D  and yes, i'd love to try gator and hog. 

i'm not sure about those oysters, though.  something about them just doesn't sound right.  >:D  what are they really?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:09:04 am by Dustybaer »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 07:12:47 am »
Sweet looking bow,Hickory is some tough stuff,I bet it's a sweet shooter.Love the grip. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 07:58:05 am »
If this is laid out like a Board Bow....edge grain or biased grain....and you didn't follow a Ring so to speak....it may be just fine then Marius...but still Fast Flight String on a Selfbow....is asking for Limb Tips being sawed plumb off...... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Dustybaer

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 08:28:20 am »
thanks pappy, i appreciate it.

el destructo, we shall live and see.  if she lives long enough, ill bring her to the TN Classic.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 08:43:49 am »
Der bow ist gut! ;D Might fine looking bow Marius! Good job on the tiller and I really like the looks of the grip with the different color leather strips...I've done something kind of similar with my snakey bow I'm working on. If you're worried about your string grooves you work a flat surface from your back angled down enough to remove the groove you've cut in and add overlays. That should remove any risk of the bow giving way especially considering the fast-flight string. It may hold okay as is layed out edge grain as you've done....

Good to see you involved again! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 11:27:12 am »
That's a mighty fine looking bow, Marius, I like that grip, too. Good to see you posting again.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Dustybaer

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 11:55:40 am »
thanks greg, your german is gut also  ;D  the process you described was my original plan of attack, but then i figured, if i don't chance it, we'll never know.  isn't experimenting a good portion of our learning?  and after all, it's just a board bow  >:D

thanks hillbilly.  i'm telling you, it's good to be back.  can't wait to see you guys again, fling a few arrows together, enjoy a few adult beverages or just talk and have a good time.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 11:57:05 am »
This is a nice bow. Such great tiller. We'll look at it again at the end of the week for Self BOM fun ;D
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Keenan

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 01:04:41 pm »
Sweet Dustybear, That tiller looks spot on.