Author Topic: Filing nocks  (Read 1545 times)

CodyCoyote

Filing nocks
« on: August 02, 2009, 06:57:44 pm »
Well Ive been everywhere but one wood yard and no body had the wood I needed... today I seen a piece of red oak board 1 3/4x5 7/8x 112"  amazing what wood you have and dont know it huh? So I ripped a 2 inch by 1 1/2 inch by 60 piece off and checked the grain, it was pretty straight but it could have been better but i wanted practice om making a bow even if it is ugly, practice makes perfect right? I clamped it down but had to cut 1 inch off the end because of a unseen nail hole in the center of the board. I started shaving down a basic shape on the limbs thickness. I didn't start a taper with the draw knife because of blisters coming. I wasn't to rushed because i have 7 to 10 days to get my rasp. I stopped but got to thinking what I was gonna use for filing knocks i grabbed a square file on wood but it was nice for starting but not very good for filing deeper. What can I use for filing knocks? Will a chainsaw file work?

Thanks,

Cody

Offline sailordad

Re: Filing nocks
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:03:41 pm »
yup chain saw files are the shiznit for nocks.
some use a dremel,but one little oops with power tools can become a big problem to try and fix

i have 3 fiffeant sizechain saw files,only 2 get used for nocks
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Filing nocks
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 08:03:37 pm »
Cody, that's what I use. There are buildalongs on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!