Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 200520 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2007, 04:57:50 pm »
Justin, We will assume that the bow will be in the 50# to 60# range and it will be used to hunt with. If that turns out not to be the case and the final reciever hangs it on the wall, that will be a shame but for now lets assume it will be a hunting weapon.
Six arrows total will be fine and plenty. Should I do 6 sourwoods or do you want to do 3 or does someone want to make a set of 3 cane arrows?  I also have metal strips that Kenneth sent to me to be used as field points on primitive arrows. Basically you slot the point end, slide in the metal with glue and when dry, shape to a point and wrap with sinew...kinda like a metal spine in the point end.
   I also have rattan for handle wrap. I can send it to someone else(with directions) or I can add the wrap.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bullcreekboy

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2007, 06:32:25 pm »
Pat, Those rattan handle wraps you do are great. Mullet, What are you going to skin the bow with? I got the stave in the mail yesterday so Pappy should have it Tuesday or Wednesday.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2007, 06:47:17 pm »

Hello,
Pappy and I talked about the project yesterday. I think we'll probably put the bow on a form to add a little more reflex prior to starting tillering...we'll decide for sure after we get a look at the stave. After tillering, I'll shape up the handle and hopefully get the bow to a point where there will be minimal sanding and finish work afterwards for whoever adds the tip-overlays.

Has anyone thought about the possibility of staining prior to sealing the bow? I think it makes a hickory bow look good by highlighting the grain...

Greg
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

bullcreekboy

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2007, 06:49:33 pm »
GregB, How reflex are you guys wanting? It already has about 2" of reflex.

bullcreekboy

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2007, 06:52:19 pm »
Greg, I agree about the stain. It really brings out the grain in a white wood.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2007, 06:59:46 pm »
  I've got some Python skin.Once I see the bow I'll know if I have enough.If not I've got a lot of Gator belly hide.And some big Eastern skins and water snakes.The eastern's are usually too big and wide.I've been wanting to try the gator but the Python is pretty.Hey ,why not make a full dozen arrows like we did on the last bow.The yankee boy's are doing it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2007, 02:02:37 am »
I just told the yankee boys we were doing 6. I have no problem with 12. If any cane arrows are made, I have the target points Kenneth made especially for cane arrows. Let me know and I'll send them out.
 Eddie. Easterns over 2 1/2' to 3' are too big for bows. The pattern overruns the bow...anyway, we ought to wait and see the bow first, like Eddie said.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2007, 11:37:07 am »
Pat, I'll make up three(?) cane shafts if you want me to. I have some native cane and some Jap arrow bamboo.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2007, 02:16:58 pm »

Bullcreekboy, we noticed some flat area's in the limbs on the picture of the stave. We'll take a look at the stave when Pappy gets it and decide if we think it needs any tweaking or not prior to starting tillering. If the decision is made to stain the bow, I guess whoever puts skins on the bow might consider putting on the stain? Or would someone else want to stain and seal the bow after skins are applied? I usually burnish my bows prior to sealing, but I don't want to cause any problems for anyone downstream.

We probably need to decide what for sure is the plan for the bow in the way of potentially staining, and potentially putting on skins, and I guess tip-overlays. Just need to establish the correct sequence of events so that someone doesn't do something to the bow that causes problems to the next person in line.

The bow might should spend some time in a heat box after staining if it is decided to stain the bow. Pappy and I discussed placing the bow in our clubs heat box whenever we're not working on it to help keep the moisture down.

Greg
Greg

bullcreekboy

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2007, 02:30:16 pm »
Greg, I know you and Pappy will do it justice. You guys make some great bows. I'm with Pappy on the mid to high 50's @ 28". I only have a 26" draw also. There is only one guy that I shot with that actually has a 28" draw. It makes me wonder if the average draw length is not probably 26". Maybe all of us MO boys just have short arms.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2007, 02:50:29 pm »

Shannon, I think a lot of people overestimate their drawlength, at least that is what we've seen over and over when helping someone build a bow. I'm 6' tall, and with my quartering cant-the-bow style of shooting have a 27" draw. I think I was around 30-31" draw many years ago when I shot a compound, hard to remember back that far. :D

We'll shoot for the mid to upper 50's@28" knowing that it will lose some weight due to finish sanding and settling in over time.

I've been doing some nosing around across the border, those guys are keeping schedule of who is doing what to the bow, and who gets it next, etc. We probably need to get something like that going as well to keep track and have everything happening in the correct sequence.

What does everyone think?

Greg
Greg

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2007, 07:32:22 pm »
  If you guy's want I can stain it and put some tip overlays on at the same time I skin it.Pat we don't have any Eastern diamond backs down here that small unless they are babies.The skins I have are 5 and 6' long and 18" to 24" wide.What does look good is to cut them length wise and break up the pattern.I really want to use the Python or the gator belly though.I just have to lay the python out and see when the bow gets here.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2007, 07:51:23 pm »

Eddie, will it cause you any trouble with placing the skins if Pappy and I have burnished the back? I wouldn't think it would cause a problem with the skins adhereing to the back, but thought you might have a preference. Also is there anything we should do when cutting the string notches so that we don't cause you any trouble with the tip-overlays? What material did you have in mind for the overlays?

Greg
Greg

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2007, 09:47:07 pm »
Greg,Doesn't sound like a problem to me.I've got black buff horn,white cow horn,moose,deer,caribou horn.zebra wood and purple heart and other wood.Everybody take their pick.Or if skeaterbait wants to do that part I can send him the horn or wood.Also cowboy and I were PM'in each other about the points.What do you think about the stone points going on cane or bamboosa arrows(6) with a dozen,half by me and half by cowboy mounted on foreshafts separate from the arrows.along with 6 shoot arrows with field points?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2007, 10:12:36 pm »
I am happy to do the tips. I have cow horn, both black and white, whitetail antler, zebra wood, purple heart and cherry but can grab what everyone thinks will work best.

My intial thought on the tips was to take the zebra wood and glue two edges together to form a V with the stripes. Over that I would put a lam of purple heart or cherry and have it fade out in a V, giving way to the zebra wood underneath. On top of that I would have a bit of horn.

If the description doesn't make sense I can glue one up right quick to show you what I mean.

I will do what the majority would like to see.