Author Topic: Southern Community Bow  (Read 201608 times)

Offline Dano

Re: Southern Community Bow
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2007, 03:54:25 pm »
Nice points Cowboy, here's a site that comes in handy.
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/weight
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2007, 04:31:33 pm »
See, that's why I make my points about an inch thick-better weight  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2007, 06:05:14 pm »
  Very nice points cowboy.If you still want some of that rock send me your address.I sure wouldn't mind some of that either.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2007, 09:02:23 pm »
Cowboy, Just read this post. Wow, I love that rock ya got there. Up here in the northwest all I have been able to get ahold of is obsidian. How does it work? Going by those points it must work well. Are you up for a trade?

D. Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2007, 09:53:58 pm »
Hey Pat, you were right - not that I doubted ya or anything, ha. I took a look at that site Dano sent (thanks Dano) and yep one ounce is 437.5 grs. Now I just hope the postal scale is reading right - that just sounds really light for that point, we'll see.

Eddie - yep I still want some of that rock, always looking for something new to work on - I'll send you a box of this stuff too. I believe the postal service has a box you can load down with whatever and it cost's about eight dollars no matter the weight, gonna check in on that tomorrow.

Hillbilly and D.Tiller, you guys are getting a box too if that postal thing is right. As far as workability this stuff is like night and day, just gotta open one up and see what you've got. A lot of it is tough and grainy but when heat treated works fairly smooth and will thin (that's those whiteish looking one's in the pic). If you get lucky and find a peice of root beer in there you can work it either way, but I always treat everything - like that shine. Treating temp I couldn't tell ya, all mine are cooked in the ground (but am in the market for a toaster oven) thanks Eddie.
  We'll just make it an even trade if you guys would like - I'll knock a chunk out of every one so I know I'm not sending you junk, but if youre going to return me some agatized coral or obsidian don't send me your'e primo stuff - most of this stuff is just run of the mill, you can make it all work but I've been beating on it for several years. Hillbilly, don't sound like you got any good rocks - don't send me any quartz - I've tried it, got enough carpal tunnel already.... ha, ha.
  You guys shoot me your'e addresses on a PM and I'll get it rolling next week - tootles.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2007, 02:16:22 pm »
Beautiful points Cowboy! I wish I had that kind of talent.

Bullcreekboy, Pappy left Sunday morning for a pig hunt in Oklahoma. As of Saturday, the stave had not arrived yet. I don't know how you were sending it, maybe you have a tracking number you can call? I'll call Pappy's wife today or tomorrow and see if it has arrived. Pappy gave me the go-ahead to floor-tiller the stave while he's gone. I think he's supposed to get home this coming Friday.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2007, 06:32:52 pm »
  Cowboy,You don't have to be real picky when you send it to Hillbilly.I took him some concrete in Nov,and he was a happy camper.Those North Carolina boy's beat the crap out of rock with great big clubs.The kind you use to knock out sailfish before you bring them in the boat. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Tom B

« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2007, 06:47:43 pm »
thats not nice eddie :) tom

bullcreekboy

« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2007, 06:51:24 pm »
Greg,
I sent it 2-3 day via USPS. Like an idoit I did not get a tracking number. Hopefully it will show up in the next couple of days. It has been five days since I sent it out. Hopefully it will show up today or tomorrow.

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2007, 08:54:39 pm »
Them 2-3 days dont' count weekends usually. It don't matter what you pay for, they ship it how they want. I wouldn't worry just yet.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2007, 08:58:09 pm »

I sent a stave to Maine a couple years ago, took it nearly a month to get there. The guy said from the markings it had went through Canada on its way lol. Like Skeaterbait said, they ship it however they want to.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2007, 09:34:52 pm »

Bullcreekboy, Pappy's wife called me tonight and said their mail carrier had left a note in their mail box that a package to long to fit in her car was at the main post office. I'll swing by the post office tomorrow and pick it up.

I'm looking forward to making some scrappings! I'll save the final tillering for when the master returns... :D
Greg

Dustybaer

« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2007, 04:24:15 am »
greg, could you please take pictures of your progress?  this waiting is killing me  ;D

by the way, the knife is not here yet, but considering it's got to cross the pond, it might take a few more days.  if it comes in before friday, i'll take it with me to a (small) bowyers meeting with some friends, where we sit together, chat, drink and make things (like bows, arrows, quivers and stuff).  in fact, on saturday we planned a quick and dirty mini-bow tournament.  "quick and dirty" means you have to make the bow at the event and then shoot the tournament with it.  great fun.  we did one in fall with real bows.  that's where i built my first black locust bow.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2007, 08:29:09 am »
Dustybaer, we'll take pictures as we go...no problem. I've never personally posted any pictures yet, started an attempt last week to post some of bows I had made (the few I havn't given away) and also some in progress but I didn't think the light was good in the pictures and havn't tried since.

Our May shoot is much as you described your get-to-gather. We have what we call a "Self Bow Challenge", where you make a bow the weekend of the shoot. Can bring a bow roughed in ahead of time, but it can't have string notches cut in it yet. We have a lot of people come early during the week prior to the actual shoot. We've had over 30 bows at least reach the stage of shooting during this May shoot. Not all of them were sealed, a few may not have had the grips put on yet, and some folks left with still a lot of work to do but at least a better understanding of the process. Lot of fun...lot of work!
Greg

Dustybaer

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2007, 10:13:47 am »
well, the knife arrived a few minutes ago.  i can finally get busy.  I'll keep you posted  ;D

edit: sorry, that's supposed to be "i'll keep y'all posted"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 11:10:07 am by Dustybaer »