Author Topic: Best material for an abrading stone???  (Read 1998 times)

Sleep Junkie

Best material for an abrading stone???
« on: August 04, 2009, 02:15:34 pm »
Seeing as how money is in short supply at the moment, I am trying to put together or make my knapping tools out of stuff that I have around the house.  I have most of the stuff, but I am missing the abrading stone.  I have two items that I think I could use but I am not sure exactly how rough the stone needs to be.  The first is a puck style axe whetstone that has a rough and smooth side.  It was a cheapy that I bought in my younger days, so it is no big loss if it can never be used to sharpen things again.  The second thing I have is an old emery wheel off a grinder.  I figured I could break it in half to make it more manageable but it is really course.  Which would be the better choice? 

Offline DanaM

Re: Best material for an abrading stone???
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:28:08 pm »
Both should work :) Try em and see what ya like best, I use a chunk of old grinding wheel myself.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:28:39 pm »
either would work... I use a fairly coarse grinding wheel for percussion work and a finer one for pressure. If it's too coarse, it'll break off chips, if it's too fine it'll just take longer to grind.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:03:15 pm »
 Both, you'll wear them out pretty quick.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?