Author Topic: exploding arrows?? help me!  (Read 8603 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Re: exploding arrows?? help me!
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 04:23:36 am »
The spine of an arrow relates to 28" draw, which means if you make it an inch shorter it will be automatically stiffer by up to 5#. If your pull is 23" and your arrow is 23" with 25# spine it is not so critical, if at all!
Anyone here can say something about that problem (or not) of material fatigue of cedar??? - I would be really interested to hear about that!
Frank from Germany...

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 06:35:19 am »
That doesn't look like grain run off to me, it almost looks like a transverse fracture.  And I shoot dozens of premium POC arrows from the 60s and early 70s and never had a problem.  I don't think it would have caused a fracture but why shoot vanes especially with a  bow not center shot.  I could be wrong but those arrows look like they are the ones for youth bows (very lite spine even for a 20" draw).  That crest and pressed on point just remind me of them. 

Just my 2 cents

Bill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 10:33:22 am »
The arrows that exploded on me were POC and had been shoot many times. From looking at the breaks, they were damaged at sometime and finally gave up under the pressure of the shot. Now, when I miss a target and hit something hard(tree, rock) or deflect an arrow off of another object, I flex the shaft beyond what it would normally flex just to see if there in an unseen fracture in the wood. If the arrow is sound, it should be able to handle the extreme flex I give them. I would rather break a few arrows in a controlled way than have the emergency room doctor remove the splinters from my hand or arm.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 11:23:41 am »
Interesting break there. I have to agree it looks like it was damaged before the shot. I have had a few break like that, although mine are usually at the other end. Mine came from missing the intended target like Pat said.  How long are the arrows from tip to nock?

Just as a side note. If you use the bottom IMG code link from photobucket it will show the picture here. 

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 11:51:48 am »
This is one of my POC arrows that broke. It is 28 1/2" t/t, spine weight is 45# to 50# for my 50# to 55# self bows. The physical weight of the finished arrow was 525gr with a 125gr field point. This arrow had been shot hundreds of times before it broke.  The arrow broke at release and the string hit high up on my left(bow) arm just below my shoulder. I found the back portions of the arrow at my feet but didn't find the forward end until the next day...behind the target...15 yds away.
   After studying the arrow I could see it broke across the shaft in 2 locations; at about mid shaft and about 1" behind the forward end of the fletching. I believe this was from an unseen crack(s) from past damage. ....and no one was injured during this incident!  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 01:42:18 pm »
Pat, the one I saw break looked just like this one, but the two fractures where both in the fletching area.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 02:03:57 pm »
Frank, I believe this kind of break to be from unseen damage. Why else would it break across the shaft?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 12:12:42 am »
well yes that would be a very good reason for them to break.  :D
lets just shoot it

Offline MaceG

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 01:14:23 pm »
 Don't mean to hi-jack, but what's wrong with using vanes?
Set happens - Jawge

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 01:36:53 pm »
Don't mean to hi-jack, but what's wrong with using vanes?

There is nothing wrong with vanes if that is what floats your boat. Most of us spend a lot of time building our wood bows and wood arrows, avoiding most man made materials while we are doing it. You can use whatever you want and it wont bother me, but I for one am not going to ruin a pretty wood bow and arrow set by putting plastic vanes on my arrows. And I sure as heck not going to use carbons.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 03:01:02 pm »
...and not only what Justin said but vanes don't seem to fly well off of a stick bow(primitive or trad). If you use an elevated rest, they work better.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 05:30:35 pm »
 I have to agree with Pat, that break looks like it started from a crack from previouse damage. The one that broke and cost me $7 grand hit a fence and came apart with a straight break like that. On top of the emergency room visit, there was 4 nights in the hospital and surgery. If I think one might have a hairline break, I go ahead and break it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline agd68

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 03:35:14 pm »
Just to let yuo all know, I've been shooting POC almost exclusivly for 15 years and never had an issue with older shafts breaking. I oil them regularly and weed em out if they look too worn.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh