Author Topic: Finish over Silk Wraps and Sinew  (Read 4256 times)

Offline bigcountry

Finish over Silk Wraps and Sinew
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:27:57 am »
Got a quick question.  I am ready to put a finish over my IPE/Boo Bow.  But it has silk thread wraps over each node put on with superglue, (which one is coming undone), and has sinew wrap with hide glue on the fades.  

First question, is there something I can coat over the silk and sinew wraps that will, for lack of better term, solidfie them.  I thought about titebond.  I need something that will make them durable, kinda coat them.

Then to my next question.  After I get them coated, I was going to spray dewaxed shellac over then helmsman spar.  Should I cover the wraps and sinew?  I am not sure if the spar will flake off the wraps and mess up the finish.

Thanks for any advise.
Westminster, MD

Offline adb

Re: Finish over Silk Wraps and Sinew
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:58:09 am »
I'd cover that with some snake skins.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 12:16:45 pm »
I use silk wraps set with super glue and sinew wraps set with hide glue or super glue and finish them with Tru-Oil. Any good finish will work over these other materials!
 The way I was tought(thanks Art B) to make silk wraps was to tuck the tag ends under the wrap. Then set it in super glue. When dry, sand the glued wrap with fine sandpaper and add more glue. Do this 2 or 3 times and the silk wrap becomes a solid band of silk in a super glue matrix. You will have to cut it off to remove it. I use this method on bows to cover the ends of snake skins or other backings as well as on arrows for fletching wraps, below self nocks and behind trade and stone points.
  The super glue will saturate the silk thread(like with FG cloth and polyester or epoxy resins) to make it a solid band. TB glue will only cover the surface of the wrap with little penetration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 01:15:52 pm »
I use silk wraps set with super glue and sinew wraps set with hide glue or super glue and finish them with Tru-Oil. Any good finish will work over these other materials!
 The way I was tought(thanks Art B) to make silk wraps was to tuck the tag ends under the wrap. Then set it in super glue. When dry, sand the glued wrap with fine sandpaper and add more glue. Do this 2 or 3 times and the silk wrap becomes a solid band of silk in a super glue matrix. You will have to cut it off to remove it. I use this method on bows to cover the ends of snake skins or other backings as well as on arrows for fletching wraps, below self nocks and behind trade and stone points.
  The super glue will saturate the silk thread(like with FG cloth and polyester or epoxy resins) to make it a solid band. TB glue will only cover the surface of the wrap with little penetration.

Great info.  I learned about tucking the tag ends under on the last wrap.   Will do. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 02:39:49 pm »
What Pat said. I do my silk wrap just like I am serving a bow string. It tucks under 6-8 wraps and is pulled tight.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 03:56:51 pm »
I started trying a new tuck method.  I take a piece of serving or small material.  And I lay it on the back of the bow and wrap over it, and in the end, I put my tag end thru and pulled thru all the wrap.  Seems to work.  Thanks for giving me ideas. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 06:19:17 pm »
That's just how I do it! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 09:57:16 pm »
That's just how I do it! ;)

I wished I asked sooner then.  I only did it on the last 2.  I learned a lot and think I can make a decent bow next time around. 
Westminster, MD