Author Topic: Thoughts  (Read 3764 times)

Offline stickthrower

Thoughts
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:00:20 pm »
Okay, so this might be considered blaphsemy by some, but I am looking at making my first bow using a board.  I have been reading about it in Bowyers bible, and it sounds like it should work okay.  At least as a good way to learn.

Any thoughts?  I don't have access to any staves, and if I am going to start up, I am thinking this might be my only way to start learning what I am doing.  Once I get better at it, then I can start working at getting staves and doing it that way. 

Is this a reasonable expectation?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline NTProf

Re: Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:04:55 pm »
Why would this be blasphemy? A lot of guys on here make bows from boards. Great way to have a good bow quickly. See Jawge's site for board bow build-a-long.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:11:55 pm »
Go for it......select the right board.   I make board bows all the time....even times when I should be doing lots of other things.   :) :)

Easy transition then into laminated bows and the incurable illness of "bowyerizm"

piper

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 09:23:13 pm »
Yup Go for it. Its all the same wood. Get one with good grain and maybe also back it if its your first. Staves are great but for learning how to tiller I would much rather break a cheap board than a stave I cut, split, dried and reduced to size. Get a couple and you wont worry so much about doing it perfect the first time. The only way to learn is to just go for it. Ask questions on here a lot as well. 
oh and dont forget to post pics so we can help ;)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 09:27:40 pm »
Almost ALL of my bows come from a board.. ;D

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 09:32:26 pm »
My first was made from a red oak board from Lowes.  Dang I remember (less than a year ago) the absolute THRILL of pulling (the nylon mason line) string back and shooting a 1/4" dowel arrow with duct tape fletching.......I got that bow out of the corner over the weekend and strung it up.  It pulls about 15#......wow!!  But the bug bit and bit hard.  I'm still not making really HEAVY  bows, but the ones i make do pull nice, and look decent and they fling arrows .  

When I was a kid, my Dad got me the book , "The Boy Mechanic"......i always wanted to make a bow like the men in that book did, but it said you needed lemonwood, and had to have a lathe to make the take-down sleeves, and learn to chase rings (??).   Well, the end result is that I got that book in 1963 and made my first bow in 2008, WHEN THE GUYS HERE AND A COUPLE OF FRIENDS GOT ME GOING.    

The fellow who did the most for me, a traditional competition shooter here in Louisiana just said, rather plainly, "go buy a board and just make a bow, don't wait, do it now!!"   Thank you Joey!!  

So, I give you the same good advice, GO BUY A BOARD AND GET TO WORK.

piper

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 09:32:54 pm »
As everyone else says just go for it!!!!  Also what helps me is to look at everyone's bows on here especially their full draw pictures so you can already have it drilled into your head what a full draw is supposed to look like. This also helped me develop a better eye for tillering.  (still aint perfected it yet tho   :) )  Also as everyone else says post pictures everyone on here is really friendly and you will get expert advice from the experts.  I have never met a better group of people as I have met on this website.  Everyone is always willing to give you a hand.   Well good luck!!!!!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 09:43:02 pm »
yup go for it
nothing wrong with a board bow
i have two in the making
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 10:28:06 pm »
One thing about this whole bowmaking thing.....YOU NEVER GET BOARD (bored)!!!
 ::) ::)

sorry, couldn't help it. 

piper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:59:05 pm »
Do check out Jawge's site. It has everything you need to know about picking out the right board through the tillering process and on. What you can't find on Jawge's site, come here and ask! 
  Welcome to our addiction!!! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 09:28:08 am »
Thank you all for the responses and support!  I am looking forward to getting the board and starting on it.  I will post pictures as I go as suggested so you all can help me figure out what I have done wrong. 

Nathan
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline John K

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 10:32:48 am »
Yep, Go for it ! I think it's harder to make a selfbow out of a board than it is to make one out of a stave....much easier to get boards though !  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 11:05:02 am »
By making a board bow, you are saving that piece of wood from the cruel fate of becoming a base board or shelf ;).

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 03:56:35 pm »
Only way to learn is to get started.  I started with hickory boards and redoak boards.  Even made several glass lam bows.  I still make board bows.

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 06:18:45 pm »
What's wrong with board bows? Boards are wood. Good way to cut your teeth, and cheap, too. Just gotta pick the proper board.