Author Topic: first bow  (Read 3535 times)

Offline terence pinder

first bow
« on: August 20, 2009, 12:52:02 am »
this is the first bow i have completed. its serviceberry. i cut the sappling in my backyard and was hopeing for a hunting weight bow but i had a few issues tillering and ended up with a 20 pounder  that took about 3'' of set which after a couple hours rest relaxes to 1 or so. it had a few knots to deal with and i had to steam it a little to line everything up. ive got a few board bows on the go so hopefully i can come up with a hunting bow before the snow flys. id like to thank everyone on here for all the help. it is greatly appreciated.comments welcome

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:39:43 am by terence pinder »

Offline NruJaC

• Personal Blog
Re: first bow
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 02:24:31 am »
I'm not positive, but the upper limb may be hinged around midlimb. other than that, great bow! Can't wait to see the next few you make!
Arjun from Reston, VA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 05:20:29 am »
Tiller looks good to me,very good first attempt.Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 06:24:58 am »
Congrats on your first bow, there's nothing quite like the feeling you get when
you shoot your first arrow from your first bow :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 07:02:31 am »
terrance, tiller looks pretty darn good in full draw, the braced pic looks hinged and difficult, string lays right on the handle........good going.   I know you wanted a hunting weight bow, but i'd rather see you make a twenty pounder that works than break a fifty pounder and be bummed out over it.   

The key is MAKE MORE.......see my tag on the post?  JUST ONE MORE BOW, OK?   :) :)

piper

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 07:39:17 am »
I'd say that you did good on your first bow, and I'd bet you learned a bunch that can be applied on your next bow. Good luck, and I expect to hear you're hunting this fall with a selfbow you made.  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 08:04:42 am »
The tiller looks great. None of the experienced bowyers on here have ever had a bow come in underweight! LOL. Keep up the good work underweight bows are a fact of bowyer life until about bow #25 and even then it can happen. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline terence pinder

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 09:11:32 am »
thanks guys,im gonna start the next one this morning

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 10:26:45 am »
Nice first bow!!!!  Most people don't even get to shoot their first as they break them beforehand..  Even though it came in under weight at least you had a success.   Now make you a hunting weight one and apply everything you learned from this one to your next one.   Good work man!!!! 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 10:46:57 am »
good going. now get going and make more. ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline John K

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:05:14 pm »
Nice bow. Everyone after this one wil get better and better. Good job !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline terence pinder

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 10:20:41 pm »
thanks again, i started working on a hackberry board that auggie sent me a while ago. but with harvest sneeking up on me i hope i can find the time to finish it before hunting season

Offline sulphur

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 10:26:57 pm »
my first didn't come in under weight ;D cause they were in pieces.  Nice job.  i always say good tiller is more important than weight on your first ones.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 10:29:51 pm »
Heya Terence,

You should be proud bein that it's a sapling cut and successfully shot an arrow.  Tiller doesn't look bad all in all.  Congratulations!
Keeping my eye out for the knife from the kith.  Just got back from 2 weeks away tonight.
Lookin forward to seein the next.

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline JustAim

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 11:00:57 pm »
Nice one Terence! The tiller looks pretty good for your first bow and as long as it throws an arrow its one to be proud of. Hell, you dont even want to see my first shooter...l keep it outta sight for the most part but l'll bring it out once in a while just to remind me that l'm improving. But like what everyone else said, your bows will keep getting better and better. Well done.