Author Topic: Switched to bare fingers.  (Read 12132 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Switched to bare fingers.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 04:50:58 pm »
As far as I know all Native Americans, except some Eskimos, shot with bare fingers.  I don't think their fingers got sore very often, though, even with high-poundage bows.  They didn't shoot a hundred arrows at a time like we like to do.  They shot a few times a day and made each shot count.  If you've ever spent the entire day making an arrow the old way, you can appreciate the technique of "shooting a few arrows every day for a month" rather than "shooting a hundred arrows once a month".
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Kegan

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 04:58:12 pm »
I know during the hundred year war archers used simple two-hole tabs. Later, when archery became a sport, and not a means or war, they switched to gloves for targets. Asiatic archers used thumb rings. But I think when it comes down to actual hunters, I think finger protection was a rareity. Look at some of the African archers- even using heavy bows they didn't.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 07:09:14 pm »
Interesting.  I haven't spent much time making arrows the old way, although I want to.  That is my next step.  I do not doubt that it adds to your appriciation of the whole experiance.  Even with the manufactured parts that I assemble (shafting, feathers, points, etc), I hate to ruin or lose one with a poor shot.  I've been cutting shoots to dry and start making shoot arrows.  It will be a bit yet till I do, but I'm looking forward to it.  I'm sure I will want to make each of those shots count!!

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 09:25:59 pm »
I  would  hafta  disagree that  american  indians  shot  seldomly,
     men  in  most  tribes spent a  majority  of their  time  shooting  and  hunting, yes it  was a  real  feat to  make primitive arrows  but then  again that's  what  they  did,   no  tv,  no  radio, lots  of  time, many  of their  games were activities created  to  improve  the  skill  of  the  warrior,  the  bow was  probably  as  important then as  most  people's  cell  phones are today:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 03:10:19 pm »
The topic of how much stone-age men shot their arrows, spears, atlatls, etc is an interesting one.  The best example we have is Ishi...although we have observed many primitive tribes in recent years as well.  In all cases the act of shooting is a lot like spending money.

Spending money is an important activity, but once we get the hang of it, we don't really spend much time playing games that teach us how to spend it better...especially if those games cost money.  We get into a routine of make-money-then-pay-for-necessities and there really isn't much deviation from the pattern that we develop in order to survive within our little niche in society.  The same is true for arrows and other ammunition that gets "spent" as it is used.  The more you use them the more you spend...and the more you spend the more you have to make.

There are many other activities that take up lots of time, when living in a primitive way, that are very important to the warrior and hunter as well.  Travel, finding materials, setting/checking traps, guarding borders/territory, making/drinking "funny" beverages, etc,....not to mention the task of chasing/courting/supporting women.    ;D

Also, in modern times, if you consider how much soldiers actually fire their weapons when deployed to a combat zone you will see that they tend to be conservative.  And when they have time off they don't usually go down to the firing range.  Also, you don't want to be surprised and caught empty-handed because you spend it all at target practice.  And if you have to make you own ammunition, well, then being conservative is a no-brainer.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 12:40:52 am »
That is  all  well  and  true  but  the  point  is  you  must  become very  proficient  in  order  to  survive  with  the  bow,  and  you  cannot  do  that  by only  shooting  at  game occaissionally ( I refered to  american  indians over  the  last several  millineum), these  people went  hungry if they  missed, it  was  much  more important than  a casual  outing  just to  enjoy  nature,  it  was  life~

Offline Parnell

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 09:23:08 pm »
I started shooting regularly in February with my first self made bow.  Never bought a glove.  Started with a 40 lb. bow.  Now I can shoot 65 lb. bow bow 30-40 shots and not have trouble.  I remember I had about two or three months of it hurting some, but not anymore.  The calluses have gotten so thick that sometimes I have to cut em back.  I'm able to shoot in my own yard, so the frequency is key.  Imagine it's not possible for everyone to shoot with frequency based on where they live.
1’—>1’

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 01:42:01 am »
i find that with my longbow that has no rest i am much more accurate without a glove but with my fb bow with a rest i am much more accurate with a glove, and it doesnt hurt my finger
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 11:58:49 am »
i forgot my glove at home, and been shooting bare fingers for the last 3 days. i shoot alot better, but man do my poor little fingers hurt.  :P
lets just shoot it

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 04:22:28 pm »
I  think there  is  a health issue  here,  while  I applaud those  with  callouses  on  their  fingers  like  Angelina  Jolene's bottom  lip  I think  you  are setting  yourself  up  for  nerve inflammation  in  your  fingers,  just  a  thought

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 06:09:42 pm »
Been shooting bare fingers for more than 40 years
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 06:21:14 pm »
But Marc (and that  was  one  fine  bow  you  posted),
   Isn't that  because  you  are a  10th   Dan  in Shotokan  karate  and practise  dailey  the  ritual of striking your  fingers  into  a  barrel  of  rocks  to  toughen  your fingers?