Author Topic: Two fletch  (Read 9092 times)

Offline TBod

Re: Two fletch
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 08:55:01 am »
Sorry but I don't understand anything about spin true.. Would be nice if someone could explain it again (or is it in the bibles I-III)

I thought two fletch were not supposed to spin at all when you shoot it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 09:36:29 am »
Tough hands Wayne!  ;D 
   TBod, all arrows spin when shot. Even with straight fletching. The shape and texture of the feather causes then to spin. Also I put in lots of helical when I make 2 fletch arrows.
ZanShen, I will post better pics of the quiver in a while. It is called a side stalker type.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 10:02:26 am »
i think he is wondering what i am, what dose it mean to "spin true"
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 10:14:17 am »
When I say "spin true" I mean that the arrow will spin on its point without a wobble, no matter what type of point is mounted; field point or broadhead, steel or stone. If it wobbles it means that either the point is not mounted straight or the arrow is out of alignment. It can still be "crooked" and be in alignment as long as the point, nock and shaft are in the same plane.
Here are a few pics of the quiver that Zan requested in a PM to me...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TBod

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 10:41:49 am »
OK now I understand, thanks!

I suspect two fletching demands a more perfect design shaft etc.. than 3 fletch.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 10:53:08 am »
Not necessarily. All the feathers do is steer the arrow in flight by adding drag to the rear of it. The spin of the arrow stabilizes it in flight like a spinning football flies better.  If the arrow is spined correctly for the bow and shooter it doesn't matter what type of fletching is used. The practice of "bare shaft" tuning proves that an arrow can fly well without any fletching at all. Adding fletching will help the arrow fly true with a broadhead attached.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 03:57:10 pm »
Sorry but I don't understand anything about spin true.. Would be nice if someone could explain it again (or is it in the bibles I-III)

I thought two fletch were not supposed to spin at all when you shoot it.

TBod, 2-fletched arrows spin just as much as three-fletches, I always put mine on with a bit of helical like the Eastern Woodland Indians did. If your two-fletched arrows don't spin, then they're not fletched right and they sure won't fly right.

Pat B, you must go through a bunch of band aids......

Wayne

Wayne, that's where those git-tar pickin' callouses on your fingertips come in handy. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 04:27:40 pm »
my calluses are from nose picking.  ;D I don't play guitar. :(

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 04:33:26 pm »
thanks, i get it now, and i agree. spinning a broadhead on your finger tip might hurt a little.
lets just shoot it

Offline TBod

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 05:09:07 pm »
Well I have to admitt none of my arrows spin. Not that I have noticed anyway. I might have to improve my fletching or go to the optician again.

But some of them fly pretty good and some not..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 06:05:57 pm »
TBod, tie a thin thread to the point end of the shaft so it will lay against the shaft when shot. The thread wrapped around the shaft at the target will tell you if it is spinning in flight or not.
 I usually use slightly off set straight fletching. I prefer it over a helical twist for my primitive arrows.

Offline TBod

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 05:32:41 am »
Genius!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:35:47 am by TBod »

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 06:45:30 pm »

Well Hillbilly, I guess I will have to open up the case, and take the ol Martin out, start trying to play again......Dang, pat, I don't know how good a picker ol Hillbilly is, but you sound like a professional picker! ;D  You must have to have your nose rotor rooted every now and then to take down the nasal calouses....... :o......other wise you might sound like bull dog on a heat scent, or get a Wheezel and scare the deer, and turkeys off.  Oh, a wheezel is like whistle, but it is in your nose...... ;D  Could be nistle, or nostle, or maybe a Mucustle, or whistle booger.  ;)  Anway I would take you to the track and see if you could pick a winner! ;D  But if it makes your arrows spin true, then more power to you! ;)

Wayne

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 08:17:19 pm »
counter weights ;D