Author Topic: Wytch Elm flatbow...Advice needed  (Read 2286 times)

Offline keef

Wytch Elm flatbow...Advice needed
« on: April 25, 2010, 03:13:53 pm »
 Hi Guys
I've currently got my elm flatbow.(A somewhat snakey bow, from a 2 1/2 " sapling) to the point that  I've basically tillered it, and drawn it to 24" the bow is @ 58" NTN...Shot a few arrows, and it seems very fast (To Me !!)

I've left the tips as  5/8"  square. Just wondered how narrow I can go with elm...Dare I go t narrower than 1/2 "??...Was considering making a deer antler overlay...tips are obviously pretty static at present.

Fingers crossed that this is my first successful bow...I've had four or five failures, but i stuck with it and kept the faith !!

Pics to follow..just set up new pc and need to load the software to download

Thanks..

Keith

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wytch Elm flatbow...Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 03:18:22 pm »
At 5/8" thick you can go fairly narrow, I'd go 3/8" or less and see how it does. A thick, narrow tip is way stronger than a thin,  wide tip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline keef

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:23 pm »
 Thats great Pat.
The extra wood that I've got to play with witll make that job easier...Shall i keep it 5/8ths deep then ?

I was reading on here that elm takes well to heat treating. I was wondering if I threw the tips into reflex, whether it may put too much stress on the limbs, trying to get a 26-28" draw..do i have to back it?

It feels as though it would draw much further than I'm pushing it...However, I'm just teasing bits off that tiller with a sheet of 100 grit....Playing it safe!...I dont want a repeat of the expoling hazel incident !!!!!!

Cheers

keith

Offline keef

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:59:45 pm »
 I have reduced the tips down  to 3/8ths at the nocks, and fitted a buffalo horn overlay, which took an age to file, sand and polish up.. I've tried very hard to reduce a lot of mass as well

Been working at home today, which means no decent vice, no tiller tree, and no mod cons at all really !..Just brought my shinto rasp, scrapers, knife and sandpaper along...Was great with the sun shining and the birds singing though.

Photos soon guys...Sorry 'bout that.. I'll keep you updated

Cheers

Keith