Author Topic: Cypress Staves - Input wanted.  (Read 12246 times)

Offline smokeu

Re: Cypress Staves - Input wanted.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 11:58:47 pm »
Oh yea... almost forgot, the pirates made tresure chests from cypress. So you could do that if your bow didnt work out.

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 01:23:57 am »
Oh yea... almost forgot, the pirates made tresure chests from cypress. So you could do that if your bow didnt work out.

Mike

cypress dont rot. got them hundred pluss year old boards that were never treated and are still fine. thats why they logged the heck out of em down here.
lets just shoot it

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 04:52:36 pm »
yeah they log the heck out of them over here to. cypress last a very long time before it rots and decomposes, the seminole made wide d bows out of cypress from 50 inc to 70 inch long, so it must make a pretty good bow.

Offline cracker

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 10:11:01 pm »
One grows in the swamp and the other in a pond. Sheesh Ronnie I figured you as a cracker would know that. ;) ::)

Hmmm Just wait till I think up a come back I'm gonna get you real good.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 10:18:39 pm »
Ronnie....You don't have to take that from an Scrawny Ole Grey Bearded Fart like Pat....I know you can Whoop Him............ :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cracker

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 02:04:44 pm »
Mike
  In hind sight he is retaliating for a vicious unwarranted attack by me on the subject of his extreme old age.
Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 09:32:59 pm »
Mike
  In hind sight he is retaliating for a vicious unwarranted attack by me on the subject of his extreme old age.
Ron

LMAOROTFF

>:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 09:44:16 pm »
Thanks for all the thoughts - I'm going to contact the Seminole Ah-Tah-Thi-Ki museum and maybe head over there to see what I can dig up for designs and information. 
Once I get something together, I may do a build-a-long like SmokeU suggested.  Saw the old link from the traditional Seminole build-along using the carrotwood but there was no finished bow?  Oh well...

Keep ya posted.

Thanks,

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline jbnizzle

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 10:20:01 pm »
I know the Miccasukki indian I talked to laughed when I told him the books say they used Cypress.If he
is still alive look him up his name is Buffalo Tiger. He owned a trading post on Tamiami trail in the 90,s.
He was very knowledgeable with the old ways.Bring him some smokes as a gift and don't make a big
deal about it. Also remember indians aren't always as willing to share their info as you'd like, I wouldn't be
either.

I 'm here in florida and happen to like Red Ceder, Elm,and Mulberry I,ve tried alot have some info if you want.
   Shoot back at me.
Army Drill Sergeant , you grew em now hold em up.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 04:22:03 pm »
 The cypress in the southeast is different than the stuff out west. It will make bows. But the stuff out west is no good

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 04:39:18 pm »
For air-dried cypress lumber the rule of thumb is/was 1 year for each year of thickness - ie 2 years of air drying for a 2x4 to be "dry".
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Parnell

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 10:54:59 am »
I've still got those staves but haven't done much with them.  I've got an Osage that I'm straightening, Bois De Fer to be smoked, and Locust to be roughed out in the workshop along with an order for a board bow to be sent up to Ohio.  I imagine that cypress will probably be ok to use later.  Don't think it will mind the wait ;).
1’—>1’

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 01:25:25 am »
Some of the old accounts say cypress was used.  I'd say make it as wide as you can (paddle bow?) and test a scrap to see how well it heat treats.  How'd your wood run go today? Sorry I missed your visit.   Never got the boat out today, had to clear up a registration/license plate discrepancy for the trailer.  $$$ at the tax collector later I'm good to go for tomorrow.   >:(  Could have been worse, they worked with me some.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 10:55:50 am »
I looked up the specific gravity of cypress and found it to be the same as eastern red cedar at 47, a little low for bow wood but doable.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 02:53:52 pm »
The run went well but that guy is pricey.  Got plenty of good looking hickory to fiddle with and make some bows for gifts and a really beautiful rock elm board.  Got plenty of material to keep me busy for awhile!
The flintknapping is getting me really hooked these days, though!
1’—>1’