Author Topic: 150 lb yew  (Read 37539 times)

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
150 lb yew
« on: September 06, 2009, 05:45:55 pm »
strongest bow in my career , over 150 lb at 28" , baltic yew. 189 cm , string follow after hard tillering 1/2 inch.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline zeNBowyer

Re: 150 lb yew
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 08:27:06 pm »
That's  a  beauty,  look  forward  to  seeing  a  video  of  you  shooting  it:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline JustAim

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 09:56:05 pm »
WOW!!!! Great Job on that one. My shoulder hurts just thinking about pulling back 150#. Awesome Bow

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 04:37:25 am »
its to strong for me . I can pull on 20 inch  :-\.  I have spoken with polish strongmen Mariusz Pudzianowski , we think about world Guinnes record , he said that he can pull bow over 250 lb. But make such selfbow ?? I think only great quality yew can take this. In Europe yew with over 30 rings per inch without knots is very rare. So This challenge can be hard to make. I think about hickory..
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:53:07 am by henry31 »

Offline heavybow

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 04:53:52 am »
on sale ebay uk.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 05:35:42 am »
What is that weird binding on the tip of one limb?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 05:37:00 am »
I dout that marius can pull that much. But i have a 290# 66" bow. I live in las vegas in two weeks the expo will be here i will bring bow to see if he can bend it. >:D
Hmmm, is that just made as a show piece? I can't imagine it being used...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Rod

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 11:28:24 am »
Del

Might have something to do with that sharp cornered flat back, where it should be rounded to a circle at the tip...

Rod.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 04:51:36 pm »
Henry,
I don't care whether your bow runs supper smooth into the nock, 150Lbs with 1/2" of follow is pretty damn impressive in my book.  Well done!

I dout that marius can pull that much. But i have a 290# 66" bow. I live in las vegas in two weeks the expo will be here i will bring bow to see if he can bend it. >:D
Well,  I'm not so sure Marlon???  Perhaps not at present but with a little training why not?  He is one of the all time great strongmen.  Wether he could bit a barn door at 10 paces is another issue.  Mark Stretton was actually able to hit a straw boss at a reasonable distance with his 200Lber as he's a strong archer not a strongman.  At our last EWBS shoot Al and I were hitting a targets with a fully drawn 170Lb Italian yew warbow and I don't find it hard to believe he's 80Lbs stronger than me. 

Offline heavybow

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 08:57:05 pm »
Jermy my bow was made not bend. Yes with training marius should pull beyound 200#. Whats bow poundage over 190# that when poundage begins to build up. Yes henry thats a nice bow. Cheers Marlon ;D

Offline woodstick

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 09:07:01 pm »
its all fun and games till that a#@ turns inside out, b krful
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Davepim

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 04:47:15 am »
Yes, well done Henry. Getting a big bow out, like yours, with minimal string follow is brilliant.

Dave

Rod

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:50:17 am »
My point was not about stylistic correctness, but that a sharp edge can concentrate stress in tension to the degree that a lift on the edge is more likely.
Not that this is not necessarily the case, but a distinct possibility.
Perhaps if Bowmanyeoman took a long india rubber eraser that was rectangular in section and bent it then looked at the edge distortion the penny might drop and he would be a little less quick off the mark in making assumptions about my meaning.
FWIW

Rod.

Yewboy

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 08:53:10 am »
My point was not about stylistic correctness, but that a sharp edge can concentrate stress in tension to the degree that a lift on the edge is more likely.
Not that this is not necessarily the case, but a distinct possibility.
Perhaps if Bowmanyeoman took a long india rubber eraser that was rectangular in section and bent it then looked at the edge distortion the penny might drop and he would be a little less quick off the mark in making assumptions about my meaning.
FWIW

Rod.

i think Yeomanbowman knows what he is talking about as he is a "Master Bowyer" in the craft guild of traditional bowyers and fletchers!
BTW, that is an excellent bow, well done is all I can say, bows of that weight are very difficult to make so you should be applauded.
Yewboy

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 05:49:18 pm »
Del

Might have something to do with that sharp cornered flat back, where it should be rounded to a circle at the tip...

Rod.

Rod,

I fully agree with you regarding rounding the corners and understand what you are saying. I'm also familiar with the source of your analogy about the rubber (page 59 of TBB3) .  However, the above posting was you're first responce to Henry's bow and I feel that your comments (whilst correct) were not balanced as all you did was point out the negative and not it's many positives.  As a Moderator being balanced is incumbent upon you, surely?  I said it before and I'll say it again 150Lbs and 1/2" of string follow is impressive and the proof of the pudding is in the eating.  Something must be right, yes? 
For what is worth I think it is you who has made an incorrect assumption that I do not understand the concentration of stress with a back of this shape.  For further clarification I do not make my bows this way either.  I have made a self yew longbow that held the FITA unlimited world record and this did not have a square edged back.  Another of my laminated longbows holds the current FITA world record in this class and this is not square cornered.  As Yewboy kindly points out I an also proudly a Guild bowyer.

Rod, if you make and post a 150+lbs yew selfbow with 1/2" of follow I'll promise to try and find good points :)