Author Topic: i wonder why that last five yards messes me up so much?  (Read 3489 times)

Offline recurve shooter

i wonder why that last five yards messes me up so much?
« on: September 13, 2009, 12:01:23 pm »
been shooting alot with old shorty, my new 54 inch osage snake. forgot my glove at home, and actually think im gunna stick with bare fingers. i can put my arras within an inch or two of where i want them when shooting from 15 yards, but back at twenty, one out of three shots are perfect, the other two are rediculously off. i wonder why that last five yards makes such a difference? anyone els notice this? or do i just need more practice. :-X
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

Re: i wonder why that last five yards messes me up so much?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:06:01 pm »
Better your form, the farther out (and more easily) you can shoot. When I started, I could shoot fine out to 10 yards, but nothing beyond that. In the past, I'd say year or so, I've been giving special consideration to my shooting tecnique in an effort to become better. My form is improving and I can easily handle shooting out to 35, and frequently practice out to 50-60 yards.

Can you take some pictures of you shooting?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:07:40 pm »
yeah i'll try when i get home tonight. im shooting a short bow that i had to shorten my draw a little bit on, so i look kinda hunched over.
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 12:16:44 pm »
It took me a while to get used to shooting shorter bows. I had to concentrate on form, draw and release and had to be sure I was holding the bow the same every time. Shorter bows are less forgiving than longer bows.    Also you have changed your draw length to accommodate the shorter draw of the bow so you will need to find a comfortable and consistent anchor for you and the bow at the shorter draw length.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 12:37:58 pm »
thanks pat. i got the anchor point down, but i keep my bow arm bent a good bit to keep the string from getting it, and i may not be keeping it at the same bend every shot. i reckon i just need to spend more time with it.
lets just shoot it

Offline woodstick

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 12:42:08 pm »
like pat said it takes some time to get a good form on a short bow. i had one 54 inch i pulled 26 inchs draw on and shoot it well but if your of a little you will be off alot at greater yards. shoot it alot at 15 yards till you got good form work on form the same every time then work it out a little further, i got no doubt you will get it.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 12:46:31 pm »
thanks guys.  woodstick, this will deffinently be my hunting bow for this year. if a deer will get within 15 yards or closer i can down it. i love this thing. quiet as heck to.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 05:48:56 pm »
Short drawing can wreck your shooting. It wrecks your form- and you have to worker harder for less accuracy.

For example, I switched from a 27" draw to a 29" draw, and found that my accuracy went way up- and I shoot with less effort now. Add onto that what Pat said about short bows, and how they're harder to shoot, and you can see how it's more difficult!

So it seems your best bet is get close and get them like that ;).

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 06:28:56 am »
I for sure shoot better at about 15 than 20 , it's all in your form and if you work at it it will come,trouble is I don't work on it enough. Out of all the deer I have killed over the years I
haven't killed over 4 or 5 over 20 yards,I guess that's why I don't worry about it much.Most of my shots are less than 10 yards. 7 or 8 in what I try to set up for and with some patients you can get them kind of shots.  :) I have shot with guys that are very consistent at 20 to 40 yards but most shoot some sort of point of aim or style of gap shooting and are very concerned with arrows and draw weight staying the same or close,they also shoot the same bow most of the time. Me I shoot a lot of different bows and arrows, any where from 500 grain to 650 grain at 15 yards or less it don't make much difference,at 20 to 40 it dose.  :) It's like everything else in this,to each there own and how much work you want to put into you shooting. We talk about it all the time,we need to be shooting ,not scraping but it's hard for me to do that, so I settle for scraping and not being as good a shot as I probably could be with some effort.  :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good