Author Topic: Just interested?  (Read 4242 times)

Offline billy

Re: Just interested?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 12:17:34 am »
I make most of my stuff for use.  I have a kinda crude obsidian knife that is set in a handle of pacific yew, and that thing is a star when it comes to skinning.  I use scalpel-sharp flakes to make the initial incisions, but the main skinning I do with a bi-facial knife.  And in my opinion, a stone knife is far superior to a steel knife for skinning.  If you don't care about the skin, then I guess a steel knife works ok.  But if you're like me, you plan on tanning the skin, and a steel knife is just much too sharp....you'll only have a hide covered with slices in it if you only use steel.  The saw-like edge of the stone knife is sharp enough to separate the connective tissues, but isn't sharp enough to slice into the skin (unless you REALLY bear down on it).  You can really slash away with the stone knife, and you don't have to worry about damaging the skin.  Stone knives are amazingly efficient, and the skin is in prime condition for tanning.  I skinned a few red stag this past fall, and one guy was speechless as he watched me rip the skins off those animals with that stone knife. He was amazed at how efficient the stone knife was, and he kept on repeating "Man, I can't believe that stone knife..."   
Marietta, Georgia