Author Topic: I wanna make a horse bow(I think)  (Read 6219 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Re: I wanna make a horse bow(I think)
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 08:35:48 pm »
Cow horns wont work....they crack to easy. Heres another site you can buy horns from
http://www.boonetrading.com/Horns.html ....alittle expensive but well worth it. l'm not going to tell you what to do with your bow, but dont cut corners when making horn bows. Get the best materials you can find, even if it means you have to spend alittle more. l've bought horns off ebay to save money and when l received them in the mail l wasnt too happy but l'm gonna work with them anyway, so l'll see how it goes. Good luck with your bow. :)  

Dang, just checked out Boones(thanks Justaim!) Tehy seem to have exactly what I was looking for except sinew.
Gotta look into import laws at the border first tho. Canadian customs can get abit antsy by times.
Thank You!!!

Offline sulphur

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 10:43:32 pm »
you can buy unprocessed sinew from 3rivers archery.  its about \$3 for two hanks about 7 inches longs.  i've bought a bunch i still have to pound out and separate, but thats part of the fun!

Offline MaceG

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 11:19:50 pm »
       There's a good dvd at 3 Rivers called Asiatic Compound Bow. It's made by John Mcpherson and covers it pretty good.
Set happens - Jawge

Offline shikari

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 01:21:00 am »
like the chap said go for the best material you can get,you will not regret it in the long run,DO NOT GO FOR COW horn it is worthless,there was a gent called Eppo who made a fantastic horn composite a few years ago,ask him where he got his horn.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 02:11:00 pm »
OK, now about the sinew.....the local butcher may be able to supply me with sinew from beef cows. but he says they only run 4-6" in length. I guess he just cuts em off anywhere and packs a bunch to be shipped to the pet food processor.

If this is all I can get, is it acceptable? I've seen youtube shots of sinew applied to bows that appeared to be like 16-20" long!
Do you simply but them together end to end then stagger the next layer so there are no butt joints all the way to the core surface OR do you sorta blend the fibers from one into the fibers of the next run and lay on the glue to saturate this joint??? How much do I need anyways? 2 tiers or three??

I don't know what he's gonna charge for these tendons, but likely the same as he gets from the processor. What's a fair price for sinew these days?

(Maybe I should stick with boo backed bows ::))
Thanks Guys

Offline JustAim

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 02:56:39 pm »
The longer the better for the limbs and the shorter pieces are used for the ends. Apply sinew just like you would if you were building a brick wall....stagger the pieces.
Heres another site that sells sinew and hide glue:  http://www.grannysstore.com/Wilderness_Survival/sinews_and_glue.htm

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 04:17:23 pm »
The longer the better for the limbs and the shorter pieces are used for the ends. Apply sinew just like you would if you were building a brick wall....stagger the pieces.
Heres another site that sells sinew and hide glue:  http://www.grannysstore.com/Wilderness_Survival/sinews_and_glue.htm

That's a really good site Justaim....but they don't ship to Canada...I'll have to bum the back sinews off some hunters this fall.

Offline JustAim

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 10:08:43 pm »
but they don't ship to Canada

They ship to canada. Scroll down the page and you'll see ''lnternational shipping'' on the right side of the page.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 07:50:02 am »
but they don't ship to Canada

They ship to canada. Scroll down the page and you'll see ''lnternational shipping'' on the right side of the page.

Sorry, I was thinking of another supplier.  I guess they do ship to Canada.
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 11:40:50 am »
Do you not have any game processors near you or have friends or friends of friends that hunt? In most of those cases the sinews go out with the bottom legs and guts. Probably free for the taking.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 04:58:21 pm »
Do you not have any game processors near you or have friends or friends of friends that hunt? In most of those cases the sinews go out with the bottom legs and guts. Probably free for the taking.

PAt, I think I'll be talking to a few guys soon to save those tendons for me.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 08:15:33 am »
 ;DJust talked to the butcher that I use for deer and moose.
Since moose season is coming up, he says he can get me a pile of moose leg sinew. Maybe free or minimal cost. ;D
I told him I'd take all he cared to save for me.