Author Topic: Crepe Myrtle  (Read 3351 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Crepe Myrtle
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:45:32 pm »
This will be one of my next bow projects.  I had a customer getting ready to cut down some crepe myrtles, so I went and found the best piece.  This one is about 65 inches I believe and four inches our so across.  I split it and got two workable staves out of it.  This was my last piece after I had split and debarked 3 osage logs and 2 logs of pecan.  It is quite amazing how easily the crepe myrtle split and how easy the skin pealed off.  I've had more trouble cutting warm butter with a steak knive  :).  I hope to be able to work one of the pieces within 2 months.  I just thought I would share a few pics.  The end picture is not that clear.  My camera kept fogging on me and I was trying to rush it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline DanaM

Re: Crepe Myrtle
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:40:35 am »
Looks like a nice clean stave Jeff :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline StevenT

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 10:39:53 am »
Jeff,
I will really be interested in how this one turns out. One thing we do have a lot of around here is Crepe Myrtle. I had read old threads about Crepe Myrtle and it looked like it could be used for a bow. After looking at a lot of CM around here, that piece looks a whole lot straighter than what i have seen. I do have a quick question - most of the stuff I have seen seems to grow in a spiral. Did the wood grain in your piece spiral. You said it split easy, so I was wondering. Also, you said you hoped to have done in a couple months. Was this already dead and dry?
Steven

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 11:48:29 am »
Don't get pitch on that nice car ;)
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 04:07:27 pm »
I just cut down a whole lot of crepe myrtle.  I thought they would be to brittle to make a bow.  It doesnt matter, all the crepe myrtle I cut were to thin to even think of getting a stave from.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:06:28 pm »
Dana,
It's amazing how clean and straight it was.  I'm not use to dealing with wood this nice  ;D

Steven,
This is still green, but I am going to give it a month to dry out a little then speed dry it.  The grain was arrow straight.  Did you split it green and it was already spiraled or did it spiral as it dried?

Kent,
Mullet told me to keep it wide and flat on the belly.  He reminded me that Timo made a warbow out of it...I think it was around 80 lbs, but I can't quite remember.  I'm shooting for a lot less, so I guess I will find out.

OldBow- Is pitch from crepe myrtle worse than other trees- it did seam to have quite a bit.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:10:13 pm by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:43:47 pm »
Not Timo but Thimo!  He was making heavy bows with crepe myrtle. I was surprised. To me, it always looked to straight to make a good bow! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StevenT

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 11:45:22 am »
Jeff, I haven't actually cut any. I was just looking at the trees and on every one I looked at, it looked like the trunk and limbs had a spiral growth. I could see the bark sort of twist or spiral and you went up the trunk. You piece just looked a whole lot straighter than what I have been looking at.