Author Topic: Hope you guys are newbie friendly  (Read 7082 times)

Offline Dane

Re: Hope you guys are newbie friendly
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 07:44:17 am »
All good advice you are getting here, and having seen some of your work on the hobby thread, I'm sure you'll take to bow making very easily. Most of us start with zero tools and blunder about quite a bit. Down the road a bit, your skills at steaming will come in very handy for making bows, including recurves and fixing twist and straightening staves.

And dont worry about elitists. I haven't noticed any around here; the wooden bow community is the most generous and sharing group I have ever met.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 09:23:18 am »
I have a 56 inch plains style osage backed with rawhide that pulls 45 at 26 inches ,lighter than I care for,If you want you can have it for shipping,if its too heave just retiller lighter,it shoots well by the way,pm if interested,Dave.
Now is the good old days

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 01:18:44 pm »
Banoch,if your interested let me know other wise Im given it to somebodys nephew,ill wait till I hear from you,Dave.
Now is the good old days

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 08:24:53 am »
First Welcome,you will like it here.We don't talk buy much,but there is a trade forum you can go to and usually get what you need. Slow down a little and look around,there will be plenty of help to get you started,I promise you that.Enjoy. :)
   Pappy

Actually Pappy "sell" is what we don't talk much about here, unless you are a paying advertiser.  A person can talk "buy" all they want.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 08:35:10 am »
 :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

banoch

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 10:06:00 am »
Hey Pappy, I see you are in Clarksville Tenn. I lived there for a while while stationed at Ft Campbell. Has it changed much since 95?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 11:23:13 am »
Not a lot where I live outside of Clarksville to the sout east. A little more in town.Grown up
some. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 11:07:53 pm »
banoch,
The fine fellows here are the most friendly and helpful bunch you could ever want to run into! Ask and you will surely receive!! I'm pretty new here too, but I say welcome also. Good luck with your building.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

banoch

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 11:17:51 pm »
Chasing Crow, truer words have never been spoken. I have spent about 11 hours on here so far and I will say that this is a great bunch. I didn't even have to ask and have received more than one should expect. Thanks for the welcome and I hope to start building after a little self education. Wintertime seems to be my "building" season.

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 08:41:26 pm »
Ya banoch,
You must go to Georges site! It is a great site with so much information, easy to read and follow. Even a fumbler like me can make a usable bow! It is a really neat site.
Chasing Crow

banoch

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 10:49:49 pm »
I actually have had a link to his lemonwood bow for quite a while and have been to his site many times and never had any idea who he was. Like I said I have been interested in this stuff for a long time but have just been so wrapped up in making boats and kayaks that , well, I don't know, I think I am somewhat obsessive compulsive and once I get my teeth into something I just can't seem to let go until I am satisfied that I know enough to make myself dangerous. All of my little hobbies(interests to some of you) always start the same way, and this is know different.

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2009, 07:59:56 am »
banoch,
you are not alone!