Author Topic: More trail cam pics  (Read 8071 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Re: More trail cam pics
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 09:46:12 am »
i've given a good bit of thought about that.  they can't see red or green color, but they must see the light when it comes on because i have them looking at my cameras during the day when the flash doesn't come on.  also since digital cameras don't make any noise when they take a pic, the lights are the only thing the deer could be looking at.  don't want to tip my hand by putting something there that is out of the ordinary.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Jesse

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 11:06:36 pm »
Nice pictures Dana. Hope you get that big one. :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline John K

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 01:37:44 pm »
Here's one i got on my camera last Sunday. I sure hope he walks by in the daytime !

The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 01:52:00 pm »
Looks like a dandy John :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline John K

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 02:24:07 pm »
He would work  ;)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline PeteC

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 08:11:57 pm »
Nice pictures fellas,and good huntin' to you all.   God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 09:13:54 pm »
You got to be positive Dana.  One of those bucks has your name on it. 
Pat.  I like the one with the spots.  Easy aiming. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 09:29:31 pm »
All I have so far is Flattops....but the Area I Hunt is very Open....so the Bucks don't normally start to show up till the Does start to go in Heat....anyways....I don't eat Antlers....and Doe is a lot more Tender than an Old Swelled Up Stinkin Ruttin Buck is....... :P

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 08:19:03 am »
Man dem Texas deer look so small, thought everything was bigger in Texas ;) :D

I hear ya Mike first legal deer that gets in range gets stuck, buck, doe or bambi ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 10:23:12 am »
Dana....the Normal Whitetail Buck here in Texas runs about 150-170...with the max around 190-200....and the Does run between 100-140 pounds....you ain't going to find any Upper Michigan Swamp Donkeys running around the Texas Panhandle....and they even get smaller when you get into the Texas Hill Country along the Texas-Mexico Border in all of the Scrub Oaks

These 5 Doe are last Years Fawns....so they are on the small side yet...but there are plenty of Mature Doe here to....these Girls were just posing so nice ...I thought I would show them off!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 11:55:35 am »
I believe that most Texas deer are about average body size for the Southern states. Because of the mineral content of the soil many Texas bucks have large(for their body size) antlers. The physical size of these deer can be increased with proper and year long nutritional supplements...up to and over the 200# mark...but it ain't cheap or easy.
  After the initial placement of my trail camera in a known active location(over 50 pics in 24 hours) I move it to a trail that follows the property line between our property and our neighbor's(I use this term loosely  ::). All I got there was a pic of the back of the neighbors head.
 I move it again yesterday to another area but we have had almost 5" of rain since I move it so I don't think there will be much activity.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2009, 12:14:11 pm »
Yeah...We have some nice Racks around here ...just Small Bodied Deer comparred to the Whitetail back Home....Michigan Whitetail are like Texas and New Mexico Mule deer.....here are a few that I caught on Film two Years ago....thats as close as I came to any of these!!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:22:18 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PeteC

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 10:07:32 pm »
Heavy bodied deer in Texas are quite rare.I have seen a few that would go over 200#,and a couple over 250#,one of which my wife killed about 20 years ago.It was a big ole 7 pt.,on the decline,(as far as antlers were concerned),it had a 17" inside spread,with nice mass,but I would have loved to see him as a 6 year old..Up till then,I'd never seen a whitetail that big.It's been quite a while since I've seen one that size too. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 12:27:20 am »
Are these live weights or dressed out (no guts)?

Around here the average mature buck will dress out between 160 and 190lbs. A few will weigh as much as 225 dressed, but they're rare.
 The does average 75-100lbs.

You can travel 50 miles NW of here and they'll average 15 or 20 lbs heavier. Better soil I reckon.

Have faith Dana. I believe you'll get ya a nice 'un this year. ;)

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 12:48:06 am »
here are a couple I got this Week....this Doe was really curious on what the Hell the Cottontail Rabbit was.....and then there is this little Piglet that the Camera caught ....can't wait to say Hello to Him....Up Close!!

And then there was a Little Doe..Cat Fight caught on my other Camera.....pretty cute!!!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:16:22 am by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome