Author Topic: got some basalt  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

got some basalt
« on: September 25, 2009, 06:45:37 pm »
i was out hunting yesterday up in a remote area and i found a whole hillside covered in basalt.  lots of pieces there that have been worked by primitive man aswell. i didnt find any points but i found a cool hand axe next to a spring that comes right out of the rock and various pieces that they knocked flakes off of....so anyways the point is...i have basalt.  i worked  abit of it and it flakes pretty darn good...its gonna take some getting used to but it does work.  question is, does heat treating it help any or is it a waste of time>?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Jaeger

Re: got some basalt
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:39:10 pm »
your just like an Indian drop you anywhere and you look for game and lithics first thing and  check out the local bow wood , GOOD JOB!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 11:42:22 pm »
i try to be, i have already discovered vine maple, lots of chockecherry, hawthorn and russian olive......so i should be on tope of the bow staves soon enough...problem is out here they are all sapling staves...nothing big enough to really split, which is sad cuz i really enjoys splitting up a big hickory or elm log.
     Another note, the basalt isnt overly hard...not as hard as un-treated texas chert.  but it does step frature a bit..its kinda acts like knapping toilet porcelain, probably wont make very nice small points but i bet it will make great axes and spear points!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 12:19:56 am »
Hey Ryan,

I don't think basalt will heat treat.  I've never tried it, but since it's a volcanic stone and not sedimentary, I don't think it will heat alter.  It's like trying to heat treat obsidian....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 04:29:16 am »

Well, let's see some axes, and spear points..... ;)
Have you gotten your hunting area lined up for next year?

Wayne

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 08:43:28 am »
Like Billy said, basalt won't heat treat-it's already been heat treated in a volcano. Some of it knaps pretty good-the better grades make good hunting points, really tough stuff.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 12:28:57 pm »
Dense,high grade basalt makes good points,some of it gets almost as glassy as obsidian.I knock off a flake and see if it shaves hair off my arm,if so,it's good to go.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington