Author Topic: Recurve ???  (Read 3359 times)

Offline J05H

Recurve ???
« on: September 23, 2009, 02:58:06 am »
I just bought this stave from Le Enterprises on ebay. It's 58" Osage. How well do you guys think it will work as a rigid handle recurve? I'm thinking rather short recurves but a moderate angle. Something like 3" @ 60 degrees. It's 1 3/8" to 2 1/2" wide according to the description. It looks like it's over 2" for most of the stave, except for the last 6 or 8 inches on the small end.  I would like to leave it unbacked if I can. I'm aiming for 45# @ 26". Here are some pics of the stave.

Thanks, Josh
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Recurve ???
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 03:42:57 am »
Nice lookin' stave. No experience of Osage, but it seems a tad short, I think you'd need to keep the handle length down to a minimum, or let it work in the handle.
I've never tried Osage, so feel free to mock and deride this post!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 05:12:13 am »
I personally don't think I would use it,you need prime Osage for a recurve and even that one ant bad it ant prime either,the ratio between winter and summer growth it not great.It would make a good straight bow for the weight and draw you want. Ryan and some of the other Recurve guys will chime in I am sure.  :) jmo  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 10:25:25 am »
The one and only recurve I made was with prime osage that Timo had given me. The bow was 66" long, made a good curve. In the picture of the stave, it appears that there is a knot near where the curves would start, don't think that will help ya much. Like Pappy said the stave ain't prime, but it'll make a decent bow, I wouldn't push it.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline J05H

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 02:00:44 pm »
Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for. I guess I'll just keep it straight, and recurve another one later.

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 02:16:50 pm »
You can always flip the tips a tad, on a short bow you may want to anyhow. Nothing like a longbow with nice gentle curves toward the tips.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:20:12 pm »
I agree with Pappy and Dano.Too much early wood.It should do fine as a straight short bow,with slightly flipped tips,with a 26" draw.If your going for a stiff handle,make the fades short with only a few inches of non-bending tips,(where it is flipped). Get every inch of the limbs,from fade to flip, working evenly.Just my humble opinion. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline J05H

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 03:02:25 am »
If I sinew-backed it, could I recurve it and get 45 to 50 @ 28"? I was going to use it to make a bow for a friend, but if I can get it to pull 28 with sinew then I'll just make it for me and get a different stave for his. I've been wanting to make a recurve, but I didn't think this stave would work for me.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 06:39:17 am »
It might hold,but if I were doing a recurve I still would want a prime piece.The only way to find out is try it,I just wouldn't have to high hopes.I would make a nice flat bow and find another piece for the recurve. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline J05H

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 03:57:22 am »
Alright then, it's settled. I'll just make a good straight bow. I would really like to try a recurve though. If anyone has a good "prime" piece of osage, let me know and maybe we can work out a trade.