Author Topic: Just interested?  (Read 4245 times)

Offline chasing crow

Just interested?
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:55:24 am »
You  all do such wonderful work. I was just wondering if most of these knives are kept for show or are you putting them to work?
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Just interested?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:01:13 pm »
Some of both. I've skinned a couple deer with stone knives, and used them for a lot of other things. I usually don't make a user as pimped-up as I do a looker.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 02:51:14 pm »
"pimped up"  LOL!   ;D -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 06:09:10 pm »
wel i dont posta lot of what i make
but all the knives i make are for looks only,not use.mostly cause i have only been doing this 8 months
i can make em pretty sometimes,but havent gotten real good at real sharp yet on the knives.
my points that i make,are mostly for wall hangers,some end up on shootable arrows for shooting target with
some of these i get sharp enough that i would feel comfortabale to hunt with,damn state wont allow it though  >:( >:(
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:29:29 pm »
I would rather skin with a knapped knife it dont seem to destroy the hide as bad as steel ,but to start the hide around the legs you need a sharp flake or a steel knife ,you may get it with a knapped knife ,I find it easier to carry both .My dad liked the way the knapped knife I used last year worked so  ,I gave it to him and made me another. If you are going to use the hide and dont want to just fist it off a knapped knife works better than steel for this , in my opinion .

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:49:37 pm »
I have a stone knife I've completely skinned 3 deer with. It works as good as steel.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:01:32 pm »
I have not made one worthy of skinning yet. Mine have been mostly show. I am in the process of learning and getting better. I want to make a knife to skin my first primitive kill with. ;D
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:49:53 pm »
I believe you're just a little too hard on yerself Nugget. A knife blade don't have to be pretty to be sharp. If primitive man had waited till he got good at knapping to hunt or skin with his tools... we might not be here. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline nugget

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 08:58:26 pm »
I see your point. I think most of the knappers today are way to hard on them selves. We strive for perfection, but the end result should be a usable tool.
Thanks for the reality check.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:00:06 pm »
Yeah, I skinned a deer last year with two random stone flakes. I picked up one with a little hook at the end, and it worked better than a steel knife.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 09:19:00 pm »
Will have to try that.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:22:56 pm »
I believe ancients just knocked off a nice sharp flake an used it for skinning an fleshing. I have picked a few flakes out of my debitage pile that fit my hand an skinned a beaver an a couple of muskrats an fleshed  them all with the same flake, worked just as good as steel maybe better than steel on beaver hide.  Later Bob

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:27:19 pm »
Flakes are dangerous ,Yesterday I dropped a dacite flake on my toe next to the little one and it gushed blood for a while, in my experience ,flakes are much sharper than blades ,I have yet to see  a blade as sharp as some flake are ,they are down right dangerous.  the knapped edge is more of a sawing action ,a flake is more of a slicing action.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 09:48:39 pm »
 Brian Melton and I skinned a hog with just flakes last year. Worked just as good as a steel knife.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:46:40 pm »

My cat killed a squirrel, and I was trying to knap, and I heard him at his food dish, and I thought he was eating some dry food, but when I went to look, he had just brought in his squirrel he killed and plopped it down in his food dish, and looked at me as if to say, " if you're not too busy, could you please skin this for me?"  So I picked out a discarded little thin flake, and proceeded to skin and gut the squirrel.  Worked like a charm, and I even used it to cut the squirrel into quarters, the cat was happy, and I was impressed. 8)

Wayne