Author Topic: First day  (Read 3074 times)

Offline huntertrapper

First day
« on: October 03, 2009, 03:36:31 pm »
First day of archery and i had 2 squirrels 3 feet from me. Also i almost took a huge porcupine but decided not to. Towards 9 oclock i saw movement up the ridge. i looked closer and saw two deer. both were legal bucks. one was smaller but the other probably a more than legal six. i stalked to within 40 or 50 yards of the one and he started towards my way and i waited but then he regrouped with the smaller buck and headed into the brush. my buckskin shirt worked better than any camo ive ever worn.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
Re: First day
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 05:56:55 pm »
 well glad to hear you saw some hunter trapper. first day here in northwest illinois was good in the morning, saw a button buck swim a river 70m wide from my stand so im worried if i shoot one it'll head for the river and be hell from there. saw a pair of fine fox squirrel i could of easily had but passed on. dad saw 2 dozen turkey that he, too, passed on (not sure why ;D) we got out at 11:30,  we came back at 1 it was downpouring bad, i sat until 3 and walked out, going tomarrow though haha. happy hunting huntertrapper -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 07:14:33 pm »
sounds like a good hunt. wish I would have gotten out today.
w
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 10:59:30 pm »
very kewl ballista, went out till dark and saw a groundhog of all things on this steep rugged mountain had a coon run passed me at 6 feet and had a doe at 8 yards i drew on her two or 3 times....no doe tag. good medicine though. very productive and fun first day.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 10:36:11 am »
Good hunting, have fun and keep us posted.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 09:42:51 am »
i saw a skwirl twenty yards from me my first day. we aint got the deer yall do. kind of depressing.  :-[
lets just shoot it

wannabe

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 12:56:18 pm »
Off to my tree stand before sunup. Park the car at the edge of the woods and walk down the long abandoned driveway to an old overgrown yard with a collapsing house. The clear spot in front of the stand shows lots of fresh tracks.  Within 15 minutes a 4 pointer enters the clearing, but is too far away for a good clean kill, he walks through. After half an hour two does and a faun trot by but not in the clearing.

I can hear what I think is a loud pheasant calling every 10 minutes or so.

My time was up. Beautiful morning.  On the way out a Ruffed Grouse almost walks into me.

I'll be back tomorrow morning, weather permitting.

No shots today. Still hoping for a good shot with my Holmegaard.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:18:11 pm »
Good medicine brother, aim small miss small..... I know you will get one this year.... hope you and your dad make some meat with your bows. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 06:18:58 am »
Yes, sounds like a good hunt. Keep at it and keep posting. Love to hear how it's going out there.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth