Author Topic: Help with ID on some points  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Newbow

Help with ID on some points
« on: October 06, 2009, 05:37:13 pm »
My brother-in-law gave me a small box of rubble he'd picked up on creek banks over the past 30 or 40 years in NW Arkansas; Washington & Benton counties.  I sorted through it and attempted to ID the stuff that wasn't just flakes using Overstreet's Indian Arrowheads, 7th edition, but I have no experience at this and nothing to compare to so I am hoping you guys will chip in with your own opinions.  I forgot to include a ruler, but experiencethe middle scraper in 2 1/2" long and 1" wide (at the top).  I didn't even guess at the scrapers' ID, but they seem to be the same material as the Bulverde? group and are worked on only one side.  All the points were incomplete.  I have some tips in the box as well as bases but thought the bases would be more diagnostic.  I can provide a larger image of any part if someone wants it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hardawaypoints

Re: Help with ID on some points
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:26:14 am »
We have different names for some similar points styles found here in N.C.. The three on the bottom right would be called Big Sandy and the upper right would be called Morrow Mountain.
Here's a link to point types and their names for this region.   http://www.coe-foundation.org/content/cspp_home.html

I don't know a thing about your part of the Country.  Hope this helps.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Newbow

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:34:33 pm »
I'm from Washington state (brother-in-law lives in Arkansas) and have zero experience identifying points.  I considered Big Sandy but it seemed, Overstreet, too far south, but if they are called that in N.C. that's as good a name as any.  Big Sandy overlaps Hemphill on both ends, age wise.  Morrow Mountain I didn't consider as it isn't listed (Overstreet, again) for the Arkansas area.  Too many names for points that are the same in age and appearance but from different places!  That's why I was looking for help.  Thanks for the input.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 03:50:42 pm »
That one on the bottom left looks like a Pedernales, though I don't know the range for that point type.  I have seen several from Texas that looked just like that.

Jim

Offline Newbow

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 06:01:05 pm »
Pendernales?  Could be. Not a whole lot of rock on that one to go on, but certainly could be.  That's another type I didn't consider because the book says "Texas".  I've tried unsuccessfully to find a web site similar to the one you gave me but for Arkansas.  I have found sites that sell points (http://www.caddotc.com/Catalogue/Inventory/Arrowheads/arrowheads.htm) and there are some possibilities pictured and described there.  The 5th one down in the right hand column is actually from Washington Co., AR, and the name they give it was one of those I had postulated, so maybe I'm on the right track.  Another handicap I'm suffering under is a complete unfamiliarity with the various types of stone used for points across most of the country.  What we have out here is obsidian, with a (very) little jasper and agate thrown in. 

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 11:19:38 pm »
In the link you furnished, the Adena point is listed from Arkansas and they are identical to those in the upper right of the picture you posted.  The Adena type is pretty widespread becausesome friends from Ohio & Indiana told me they exist in that part of the country as well.

PM sent.

Jim