Author Topic: Hardwood arrows inspired by Halfeye  (Read 5284 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Hardwood arrows inspired by Halfeye
« on: May 06, 2010, 04:39:29 pm »
Since the start of making my very own arrows I am now getting the hang of it and its all starting to come together.  I have been ispired by a friend of mine "Halfeye" /Rich to make a set of hardwood with some low and long fletched turkey feathers.  It takes a bit of time and patience splitting each feather and lining them up.  I think since I have only made a few dozen Its getting better each time.  I like traditional but I might go ahead and order feathers next time I went through a whole wing full just for 6 arrows.  Thanks Rich for inspiring me to making my own equipment!  PS those are in the mail and should be there in a day or 2!  Have fun with those and I will have plenty more for u in the near future.  Thanks for looking guys have a good day!

Russell

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Hardwood arrows inspired by Halfeye
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:44:16 pm »
Sorry forgot to mention I just got done making these and have not yet tipped them.  I plan on doing so soon with all Eastern woodland style knapped heads.  Hope u like it so far?  Thanks again

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:54:41 pm »
Russell....they look great.....when can I expect my Priority Mail package....  >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

half eye

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:02:41 pm »
Dang AA,
       Them got Iriquoix wrote all over them and I got news for ya....they look a lot better than my hunting arrows and by the way the black/green is real close to most of the woodland arrows that I've seen......very nice!
Rich

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:46:16 pm »
No way thanx Rich I had to test one out by shooting it up in the air it flew straight so Im happy!  The next ones will be better yet.  Rich your arrows are awesome who are you kidding!  El Destructo I can give you some shafts Im outta feathers...lol! O:)  Thanx for the kind words guys!

Russ
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:06:07 pm by AncientArcher76 »

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:07:22 pm »
very nice arrows , they look well made. you can strip turkey feathers by gripping the small end of the feather and peeling down the length of the quill. makes it easier on you. good job !

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 11:14:03 pm »
I use sharp scissors and go from the fat end on up.  Im saying turkey wings go fast I like to do things the hard way but I ran out of feathers and have a load more shafts.  Thats why I might have to break down and go get fletching... :'(  I did see them at gander mountain next to where I live they have a small section for primitive/ wooden arrow fletching or 3 rivers have the barred wing feathers.  I also want to make different styles like the medieval fletching to the shield cut...cant wait also like to thank KEN75 for helping me on my way on making shafts!  Thanks Ken!!!

Russell

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 09:25:59 am »
Nice arrows,
You do good work.
N2
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Cromm

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 11:16:19 am »
WoW great looking arrows. Well done.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 12:45:33 pm »
some great looking arrows.  just be sure not to miss because if any of those crawl under the grass you may never find them.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 01:17:57 pm »
That's why all the Shafts I got from David Knight.....I am dipping in Hot Pink....and fletching with 5 inch White Turkey Feathers....takes a help of a.Man to pull off Pink.... ;D.....awesome arrows Russ..... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 03:22:13 am »
Thanks again ElDestructo!  I only had natural turkey feathers so Im thinking I made these a little too camoflauged  I might use already cut feathers and use a bright color for the cock vein.  If u need shafts guys let me know I have a million of em....maybe not that many but I have more than I will ever use!!! :o

pm me if u need a few!
Russ

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 01:50:24 am »
Ken I will try using that method next time I fletch a few!  I seen it done that way but again I always used scissors.  Thanks for the tip!

Russ