Author Topic: Obtaining horn nocks  (Read 10517 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Re: Obtaining horn nocks
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 02:05:45 pm »
i've just made the switch from plastic nocks to selfnocks. the last arrows i made were from 5/16 poplar dowels with an 1/8 thick rienforcement of purpleheart. i'll never use a plastic nock again. self nocks are the way to go. 
45# at 27"

daniel

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 05:39:10 pm »
zenBowyer wrote: "I would like to get multiple reports on the performance of nock material"

I've been making solid nocks out of buffalo horn, various hardwoods (pink ivory, ebony, grenadillo, snakewood) and recently camel bone. All materials work very well and it's more about personal taste and availability than reliability of materials used. Just make sure that string groove isn't to thight.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 11:51:52 am »
The problem with technology is that it changes that ,that doesn't need to be changed. Our ancestors used self knocks  long before the other stuff.
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 10:02:08 pm »

ZenBowyer, just make your nock a little above a node.  Or you can do like they said, and wrap it just below the nock, or you could put a small strip of raw hide, in the bottom of the nock groove, and glue it, and or wrap it down around just below the bottom of the nock, or put a small dowel, or bamboo skewer in the hole, and glue it in.  Many ways to add insurance, if you are not confident of a bamboo self nock. ;)

Wayne

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 11:03:03 pm »
yes, im a bit ashamed to admit that i was the one who organized the big group buy a while back.
not only many delays and MANY miss-shipments but i was very unhappy with the quality of the horn and bone nocks
the delays and miss-shipments delayed the process over 2 months by the way

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 11:55:49 am »
While doing an online search for horn arrow nocks, I found this thread. Thanks for all the info, I have changed my mind about the horn and will now be doing self nocks with sinew wrap and hardwood or rawhide inserts. Thanks again to all who posted.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 11:31:45 pm »
FWIW, I made cane arrows with the nock up against a node for two years before somebody told me I really needed to wrap the nocks for safety.  I was shooting those unwrapped arrows out of bows that pulled 50 pounds.  I never had a problem.  I have had hardwood nocks split, probably due to a too large string.  Bill