Author Topic: endless loop strings vs. flemish twist  (Read 16151 times)

Offline sulphur

endless loop strings vs. flemish twist
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:01:45 pm »
i was re-reading tbbII and  the section on bow strings really got my eye this time.  i've been making flemish loop strings from day one and was wondering if there is any advantage to the endless loop strings.  the seem easy to make but is it superior to the flemish at all???

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Re: endless loop strings vs. flemish twist
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:09:05 pm »
I used to make endless loop strings and dreaded every moment. I would serve the loop and bring the serving down the "collar" of the string. Generally, they were an unsightly mess. I have finally learned to make Flemish strings and can make one in half the time, too. But, I'm not answering your question. I would suppose that they are equal in quality. The DVD "Doing the Twist" makes that assertion, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 11:23:25 pm »
I used to make endless loop strings and dreaded every moment. I would serve the loop and bring the serving down the "collar" of the string. Generally, they were an unsightly mess. I have finally learned to make Flemish strings and can make one in half the time, too. But, I'm not answering your question. I would suppose that they are equal in quality. The DVD "Doing the Twist" makes that assertion, too.

Hey Don....can Ya Burn Me a Copy............ ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 11:26:52 pm »
A Flemish twist string is quieter and stronger than an endless loop. In a Flemish twist has all the strands around the loop and a continuous string has only half the amount. It only takes a matter of minutes to make a Flemish. I use one loop for the upper limb and a bowyers knot for the bottom.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 12:14:43 am »
hey i posted about strings... Maybe no one saw it check youtube on making a flemish string id like to make one totally primitive and go sinew someday

Offline sulphur

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 09:52:39 am »
yeah thats about what i thought.  the only advantage i can see is for making strings for horsebows or composite bows with long loops.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 11:33:49 am »
I think like so many other things, Flemish versus continuous is a personal preference as much as anything.

Venom, I saw your post, but I didn't open it because the title annoyed me too much with all the capital letters mixed in the middle.  8)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline TBod

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 02:30:58 pm »
The serving takes forever on an endless string. Endless string equals endless serving for me.

I like to serve the loop an a Flemish to, feels wrong to have the B50 grinding on the nock. I only use 10 strands on my strings both Endless and Flemish.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:04:00 am »
When i got into this stuff i started with endless strings because i thought they looked easier to make. I was wrong, flemish strings might take more time to learn, but once you have it down they are easier, faster, stronger, and they look better than endless strings. not to mention that they are more versatile, you can twist/untwist a flemish more than an endless. makign flemish strings is more portable, a flemish jig is more than half the size of an endless jig, you may not need a jig at all!

My suggestion: learn to make flemish string and you will never go back. not to mention it is a good skill to barter with, this summer i traded a guy two flemish strings for his kids' bows for 4 big bags of turkey primaries!

good luck.
45# at 27"

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 11:57:19 am »
wow 4 bags of primaries....   8)  8)  8)   You walked away with a great deal there man!!  -josh  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 01:36:24 pm »
This is one of those draw a line in the sand issues. Personally, I agree with Pat which is always a good thing for me. There is one advantage to an endless. They are usually lighter so you'll gain a few fps. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 11:28:29 am »
Both types will work, no better than the other. Well made, good quality just like building arrows or such. Endless strings have the advantage of being built in high production, with machines to serve endloops and centerserving. This is why in the late 50's and 60's they became popular. Also the lengths can be more readily duplicated.

Thats about it. Flemish can be made to comparable physical weight, and strength and properly made, no big difference. Also a whole lot of ways to make without a jig, which is good in the field. Also you can't make endless strings with natural materials, sinew, nettle or such ,without a whole other set of processes.

Try both and have fun, that's what it's all about! Good shootin, Steve