Author Topic: Hardwoods native to Argentina?  (Read 6872 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Hardwoods native to Argentina?
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:24:31 pm »
I work for a company that gets in a lot of crated goods from Argentina.  I get two kinds of wood from these crates, both are hardwoods.

The one I'm mostly interested in.  It's red and VERY dense, very hard, and has a lot of flex.  The grain snakes all over the place, though.  I want to try and make a bow out of it but it's hard to look up properties on an unamed wood.  I'd just like suggestions of woods native to South America, Argentina in particular, so I can get a little more research done.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Hardwoods native to Argentina?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:11:31 pm »
Treat it like you would osage.  Most hardwoods will do OK with a bamboo backing at around 1 1/4" wide and 66" long.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 04:30:24 pm »
the northern region of Argentina contains humid tropical forest with some of the trees we're familiar with from Brazil, including members of the Bignoniaceae family such as genera Tabebuiua (including Ipe) and Jacarunda.  hard, heavy woods that are dynamite backed with boo or hickory

Dave

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 04:34:02 pm »
Ipe isn't red, is it?

None of this wood would actually be good for a bow...grain is all screwy...but it's great for nknife handles and stuff and looks gorgeous.  I would like to find some planks but I don't know what it's called.

I know this stuff has to be all over argentina considering how much is used in something as wasteful as overseas crating.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 06:35:24 pm »
Ipe can be many colors including red, dark brown and almost black.  How about some pictures. Swirly grain can still work sometimes in backed bows.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 06:36:19 pm »
There is Argentine Osage.

Offline jkekoni

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 05:47:37 am »
"Argentine Osage" BTW is no Osage. (Not that it is important to boyer). It is however according to numbers comparable to osage...

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 07:25:57 am »
It could be Amarelinno......check out this site and look at the pics

http://www.thewoodexplorer.com/maindata/we122.html

The wood explorer website is actually a cool website for all you woodworkers out there....
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 12:24:57 pm »
That looks like the proper grain Jeff, but the color seems a bit off.  I'll sift through that site a bit, though, and see if I can find a closer match.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 04:12:18 pm »
Argentine Osage is still related to Osage however.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 04:24:43 pm »
There are only four trees specific to Argentina that are typically used for boxes and crates and have a an abundant resource:

http://65.23.157.7/cgi-bin/woodsearch.cgi?eprofile=Abundant%2FSecure_89&prior=Location_Argentina_Common+use_Boxes+and+crates_1255808374902

Your should be on this list.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 07:39:19 pm »
I believe it's brazilian cedar.