Author Topic: question on the best wood for composite horn bow  (Read 8374 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
question on the best wood for composite horn bow
« on: October 13, 2009, 02:26:07 pm »
  Are there any experts out there that can tell me the best core for a asiatic composite bow? I have heard rock maple, and I know osage works well, as it is from the mulberry family witch was what the Mongols used. Is hard wood the best? I ask cuz the best wood I can get around here is Yew. Is that too soft for a ideal composite?

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
Re: question on the best wood for composite horn bow
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:34:13 pm »
Maple is great wood on asian bows , prefered in Turkish bows. For beginner ( like me ) osage , hickory is safe choice - more resistant wood. I dont recommend yew - core in composite bows have about 4-5 mm. 2 mm sapwood and 2 mm heartwood? Possible but sapwood cut is necessery and in my opinion it is not best choice.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 03:41:01 pm »
 Thanks Henry. Now I just need to find a stave of one of those woods

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 03:59:05 pm »
 Would Big leaf maple be ok? Its all we have here

Offline shikari

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 04:00:09 pm »
I am currently working on a couple,1 with hard maple core and mulberry sahiyas and a mughal crabbow with mulberry core and sahiyas,you can also use bamboo or birch as well.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 04:19:44 pm »
  If anyone has 2  top quality staves 40-50 in of osage, hickory, maple, black locust, ect. I work on a fishing boat and will overnight fresh seafood fillets still flopping. Our top fish is Petrali sole. Sells for 15 a pound out here. I'll make sure to make it a good trade.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 04:20:41 pm »
I'll take bamboo too

Offline shikari

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:51:03 pm »
what design of bow are you going for?Do not bother with black locust as it will not make a good core,not really good at absorbing hide glue,you can make sahiyas out of it though,I traded for some fantastic mulberry.Where are you located?do you have horn already and what kind is it.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 05:57:35 pm »
IMHO
You want a stable wood rather than one with power of it's own, the wooden core is merely supporting and separating the horn and sinew, it is also providing a surface for the glue.
I'd say Maple don't waste a decent bit of Yew or Osage.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JustAim

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:04:34 pm »
You should check this site out if you have questions about horn bows. They will be able to help you out alot more with the questions you have with these type of bows. The link below is a discussion about the best core woods.

http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1386&start=0

Far East Archer

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 09:44:28 pm »
Mongolians use the birch wood for core construction and siyah as well.
Birch is a good wood, so is maple wood too. Mountain maple was considered excellent by other makers, superior gluing properties and quite elastic.
I can see why mulberry is big choice too.

Really, few country use bamboo for core, they dont like it. I think only Korean bowyer regard it high.
It is light weight, but splits.Used more for mass produce. Still, you can make good bow with it.

Light, elastic wood with good shear strength and gluing abilities is what you need for core. It does not need to be thick, so its not very big factor.