Author Topic: Now look what you've done  (Read 2140 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Now look what you've done
« on: October 12, 2009, 11:25:35 pm »
well, i finally gave it a try, it is ugly as sin, doesn't have a very good "lens" profile, and it isn't sharp but i sure had fun giving it a try. This is from a beer bottle bottom, leinenkugels sunset wheat to be exact.

i have a few questions to go with this:

i made my flaker from #6 grounding wire and it was very soft, i had to sharpen it very often, is this normal? would a sharp nail be better?

what do i need to do to get sharper edges?

now i need to drink another beer to get more material
45# at 27"

Offline recurve shooter

Re: Now look what you've done
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:34:06 am »
im new to this to. i dont know about your flaker. may be to soft. mine was given to me so i dont know what its made of. to get the edges sharper you just have to go with your platforms. seat your flaker on the platform, and push INTO the piece, then down. it will get longer flakes to pop off.

also, try getting some empty whiskey bottles that have the flat sides. they are thin and streight and work well.

again, im a newbie, this is just my two cents worth.
lets just shoot it

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 11:00:50 am »
Try hammering or twisting your copper in a vise to strengthen it.  It will last longer and hold a point better that way. Sharp nails usually don't grip as well as copper does, though horseshoe nails are goof for notching or adding serrations to the edge of the point.

Your bottle bottom material should keep you happy as you add more to the supply.  Obsidian is also good for beginning knappers, just don't forget gloves and band-aids.  Even though it is higher priced at tropical fish stores, obsidian works better, but similar to glass.  There are plenty of folks who specialize in supplying quality knappable rock to knappers, including some who post here.

Good luck on your knapping journey.  Practice and good instruction will speed your knapping skill set.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 12:04:11 am »
HEy Gopher,

Yeah, electrical wire is usually way too soft.  If you can find hard drawn copper wire it works a lot better.  Although steel nails will work, they tend to be way too hard and will only slide off the stone.  You want something that is slightly soft so when you push it against the edge of the stone it will indent slightly...this helps the tool get a grip and remove flakes.  But you did a really good job on that point!  Keep it up....now you're gonna know what true addiction is....and it's so much fun!!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 09:43:38 am »
thanks Billy, do you know where to get hard drawn copper? i've also seen copper nails used for pressure flakers, is that a good choice?
45# at 27"

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:05:24 pm »
I think you can get hard drawn copper wire from places like Grainger.  Copper nails will also work well....they are harder and will not bend nearly as readily as soft copper wire. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 08:10:30 pm »
I have taken softer copper and hammered it to draw it out. This does make it harder.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!