Author Topic: some ugly stone huntin' points....  (Read 2621 times)

Offline billy

some ugly stone huntin' points....
« on: October 11, 2009, 10:38:56 pm »
Here are some ugly stone points I made and are just waiting to be shot at something.  These are the points I use when I go hunting because perfectly symmetrical points only require more time to make, and are no more effective. those of you trying to lean how to flintknap need only to be concerned with making your edges sharp....symmetry and beauty are not requirements for a point to be effective....as long as you're just using the points for hunting. IF you want to sell them to someone then beauty and symmetry ARE requirements!   :)

These points are ugly....but they're sharp! 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:41:57 pm by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: some ugly stone huntin' points....
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 11:36:31 pm »
looks good to me.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 11:52:47 pm »
I sorta, kinda, diagree.  A symetrical point is easier to mount, easier to get lined up, easier to spin true, and much easier to re-sharpen with the point in line for better penetration.  Those will work and work well , but I like a pretty point.  As my food supply and security do not depend on hunting, I'll take the extra time.  Bill

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 07:35:52 am »
I agree with you Bill.  When I make my "ugly points", I make the base symmetrical and even so it will mount easily and seat itself in the haft.  That makes it is easier to keep the point in line with the rest of the shaft.  But after that....it's ugly time! 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:05:37 am »
From the title, I thought you were showing a pic of the bird points I sent you.  Those are still good points.  I have a couple hafted that are not any prettier.  Ugly will still cut.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 02:46:17 pm »
When I first started knapping, my ugly points were worse than those and I still killed a couple of deer and some hogs.  Seeing as one of the reasons I started knapping was to help me quit smoking, (keep my hands busy) I started spending more time on my points from the start.  Now, knapping is a Zen like experiance of concentrating completely but sort of letting my mind wander at the same time.  So for me, part of the knapping process is the attention to detail.  Bill

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 03:01:21 pm »
not to mention the perfect one suck to loose when/if you miss.

I'm WAY more likely to fling a point at a squirrel if I know It aint perfect.

Look like shooters to me
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 03:48:22 pm »
HEy Wade,

That's a big part of why my shooter points really aren't that pretty.  If I have a pretty point, I immediately begin worrying about missing because I've spent so much time in making it.  When I have an ugly point on my arrow, I don't care about breaking it.  In fact, I WANT to shoot it because I want to smash it into powder so I can replace it with a new one.  Shooting ugly points also has a psychological advantage as well.  When you're shooting at animals with primitive equipment, you need every advantage, and the last thing you need is to defeat yourself by shooting works of art.  It seems strange, but since I started shooting ugly points my kill percentage has actually improved, if that makes any sense. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline boo

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 05:17:23 pm »
I hear ya Billy, every time a squirrel comes close i want to shoot but dont because i dont want to ruin one of my purty points. One of these days ill be able to knapp my own ugly points that will kill deer and squirrel, then i wont have to worry about it. Another lesson ive learned about this is to use pine pitch to set the point, because CA glue makes it hard to change out broken points.
Boo

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 12:00:48 am »
Yeah boo, that's true.  Superglue works well, but if you break a point and part of it is still in the haft you're gonna have a hell of a time getting it out.  I like pine sap glue a lot.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 10:03:21 pm »
Shooting at a critter is why I made them in the first place!  I figure that any point shot at a critter is not wasted, hit or miss, break, or not.  Another thing, pretty points are usually better balanced, so they go straighter.  Bill 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 10:15:01 pm »
 Usually, I carry a quiver of points made by Claude Van Order. He is like Art Butner, which most of those points are mounted on his arrows, They are made for meat. Claude will give me points to hunt with if i will try to shoot something with it. He wants to see how it performed, good or bad. He will not give them to me if they go in a case. So, I shoot all those perfect points like they are one of mine. It's just a rock and a stick.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?