Author Topic: Knapping at work.  (Read 3070 times)

Offline StevenT

Knapping at work.
« on: October 14, 2009, 05:12:44 pm »
As a thought from another post, I am curious who many of you knap at work? I took a small 5 inch wood dowel and put a 3/4" copper cap on one end to use as a bopper with a 3/8" copper bit in the other end for flaking. I also have a small piece of grindstone and a small leather hand pad. Things get slow, I put the trash can between my feet and make some gravel.  Just curious if other are this eat up with it.

chance

Re: Knapping at work.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 05:58:06 pm »
I have a two hour break in between two of my classes at school (I'm a new full time student 25 years after high school) and I've been known to sit on the tailgate and mangle a few rocks, or drop off the hill and go looking for some during that time.
That'll sure take your mind off school for a while!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 07:06:40 pm »
nope not me

i aint got the time for such amenities when i am at work
when i am there the more i do the more i make (auto tech)
as they say time is money.if i can do 60 hrs flat rate work in a 40 hr work week.
i take home a 60 hr pay check
so i keep my playtime for at home after work
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:06:01 pm »
Since I only work 1 day a week and I am in class the rest of the week I do most of my knapping at the house in between studying and goofing off ;D. I work in the health care field, so I usually do not have time to do much of anything except wok while I am at work.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 09:46:49 pm »
  If I'm running a pumping test on a well, or permiability test on certain formations in a core hole, I'll chip to pass the time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 09:54:15 pm »
i work swing shift at a paper mill , so i find time to make some , especially on evenings and graveyard shift . long as everything is running well .....if not i dont have time to think about rock!! at that point it's all elbows and ...well you know !

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 10:05:11 pm »
Never at work, but I usually bring some flakes and my pressure flaking tools and flake a bit before work.  The inside of my truck is pretty messy at times. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 12:46:16 am »
I've left several debitage piles in my shop floor.  My boss doesn't care. He likes to watch 8)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 02:25:12 pm »
If I was working hourly, I wouldn't be able to knap at work either. But I am salary and set at a desk most of the day. I mostly mess up my floor on my lunch our or after hours. Sometimes I will take a break during the afternoon if things are dead. All I play with at work is small spall flakes making small points and as you can see by the pic, nothing special. I have a long way to go and especially working with flint. But it does feel pretty good when I manage to get a flake to peal off the way I think it should. I did take one of the points and glue it to a leather keychain fob I had. It used to have a brass golf piece attached but that fell of long ago.  Like I said, this came up on another thread and thought it was interesting that I wasn't the only one chipping rock at work.

[attachment deleted by admin]