Author Topic: single bevel  (Read 4381 times)

Offline chessieboy

single bevel
« on: September 22, 2009, 07:07:19 am »
I have right wing feathers and I want to try some single bevel trade points.  My question is which side should be beveled?  If I'm looking down the shaft and the point is away should the right side be sharpened?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: single bevel
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:40:55 am »
Don't think it matters, at least not enough for you to know the difference. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 11:40:26 am »
If you were hunting big boned African animals there is an advavtage to having single bevel heads coinside with the rotation of the shaft but for most animals we hunt in the US it is not necessary.
  To answer your question I believe for right wing fletching you will want your bevel on the right hand side looking from the nock...but my dislexia may be messing with me! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:55:37 pm »
Lysdexics untie!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 05:18:56 pm »
JW, I could read that ...no problem!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

swarbt119

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 11:38:20 pm »
Most single bevels come right or left. Grizzlies come right only unless they have changed, take a look at those. I will agree in North America it should not be a problem, shoot what you like.

Derek Thompson

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 02:36:47 pm »
I just spent 45 minutes with a Z_____ brand single bevel right outa the package.  I still do not have a cutting edge that I would consider using on a lame gopher!  The tip of the arrow is three layers of steel and I have a bevel through all three layers, but the cutting edge rolls over so badly that it will NOT cut.  I am using a GATCO brand knife sharpening system so I know for a bloody fact that every single stroke of the stone across the edge is the same as the stroke before and the next stroke will again be the same angle...a perfect recipe for sharpening a truly wicked cutting edge.  My pocket knives and kitchen knives and even other brand double bevel arrowheads will bear that out, what the **** is wrong with these single bevel broadheads of mine????

(author is seriously peeved and his opinions of any particular brand of broadhead is subject to his emotional state)

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 07:37:14 pm »
I belive a rt wing will rotate the arrow clockways so you would want the bevel on the left side looking from the nock. Being right handed I find it easier to sharpen a bevel on the right side with out cutting my self (filing away from the edge) so I prefer left wing feathers and the bevel on the right side of the broadhead. I also have a hard time getting the points as sharp as I would like.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline dogleg

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 03:49:27 pm »
JW,

Once your edge starts to roll over, have you tried touching up the back(flat) side, like you would with a plane blade or chisel?

dogleg
Mayflies live for just one day.  Some days, it rains.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 04:50:30 pm »
I'll try that, but the backside is nearly impossible to "register" on the stone since the ferrule of the broadhead doesnt allow much of the backside to rest on the stone. 

I expect a degree of wire edge to roll over, but it should be so little that you still have a cutting edge and a little stropping on a leather belt would take care of it.  This was just excessive!

Offline dogleg

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 11:35:16 pm »
You say you have three "layers" of steel?  Is it possible that the hard steel is in a layer other than the one you are currently using as the cutting edge?  I.E. in the middle layer and meant to be sharpenned as a double bevel?  Just a thought.
Mayflies live for just one day.  Some days, it rains.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 11:59:51 am »
What are the broadheads made out of?
                                                 Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 05:00:37 pm »
I never could figure out how to sharpen single bevel heads. WHich isn't surpising though, since I can't sharpen planes or chisels either :-X!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 05:08:45 pm »
the single bevels I am referring to are the No Mercy's by Zwickey.  I am swapping them off to someone locally that swears I am an idiot because they are the simplest in the world to sharpen.  I will plead guilty to being an idiot, but considering I was clamping the broadheads in a Gatco sharpener and using their diamond hones, I doubt it was my technique.

I have not given up on the whole single bevel concept, but I am switching to some barrel hooping material I scavanged and have used to bang out some "trade goods" style broadheads.  The metal banding material has some natural spring to it and is fairly hard stuff.  Takes an edge and seems to hold it nicely.  Maybe I should make a few scrapers for the bow, as well.