Author Topic: dead standing red cherry  (Read 3672 times)

Offline cailean

dead standing red cherry
« on: October 15, 2009, 11:14:11 am »
i have an almost unlimited supply of dead standing red cherry that is dry and beautiful on the inside but the first few rings..{ for the sake of argument we'll say 12 or so} is wormy and spalted...is this wood any good for bows?..{ my friend built a beautiful bow.. gorgeous lines and profile..but it exploded at 3/4 draw after shooting it a few times}...can this wood be backed?...and with what?.. and should i de-crown it so the back is flat to put the backing on ???...the grain, colour and beauty of cherry wood is the best in my mind but I'm afraid this wood may be too dry for a durable bow...my friend chased a rind to good wood but it still broke right in the middle of the top limb..{ probably didn't help that it was me shooting it when it broke as my draw is much longer than his but it didn't even make his draw length when it failed :o}...any help about this would be greatly appreciated

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: dead standing red cherry
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 11:35:13 am »
I am always leery of dead trees,you can try it but I would take a piece of what you plan on using and cut you a small sliver off it and do a bend test and see how it bends,you will probably fine it dry rotted.If it bend good then go for it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 11:36:28 am »
No good for bows. If it has any spalting in it the fungi is all through the wood. Any "whitewood" that is dead standing is not good for bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cailean

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 11:42:13 am »
 Thx for the input ppl...i guess it's just fire-wood...but when i split the wood it was fine and looked great below the damaged surface with no sign of any rot or fungus and just looked "dry as a bone"...darned shame it's no good...thx again

coyote pup

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:43:00 am »
Dead trees usually have problems in the wood for whatever reason, that's why they died. I never use standing dead trees.

roofus

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 12:00:36 pm »
You could carve a quiver out of it. It'd be pretty.

Rob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 01:30:14 pm »
There are lots of other uses for the wood, just not bows. Bow handles, bow racks or firewood are 3 other options.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

roofus

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 01:38:16 pm »
Maybe even some arrow shafts? If you can get into some clean wood like you said.
String knock overlays too.

Rob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 01:42:42 pm »
Even though you don't see any signs of rot in the rest of the wood, it is there. I personally would not use it for bows or arrows.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 02:35:18 pm »
Maybe use some for knife handles.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 04:07:36 pm »
I've had no luck with standing dead trees. Basically, the sapwood is gone, and with maple and ash I've cut, that's useless.

Offline robby

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 04:43:27 pm »
Cailean, I'm pretty much in agreement with the fellows here. I think its tough enough to make a (hunting) bow from a good piece of cherry, but if its free and you have the time, give it a shot. What have you got to lose. One good use for dead on the root, black cherry I have found, is in the making of box, turkey calls. It has good rasp, the sound breaks and carry's well.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 05:31:54 pm »
Makes damned good Smoker Wood though!! Cherry Smoked Salmon or Trout is awesome!!! But leave it standing if you don't want Cooking Wood....ain't worth the time to mess with it for Bow Wood....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 10:16:37 pm »
Not sure about Red Cherry but Black Cherry is actually somewhat resistant to rot
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com