Author Topic: Discovering the peace of knapping  (Read 5546 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Discovering the peace of knapping
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 07:06:19 pm »
 ;D

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 10:41:00 am »
A guy forgets how soothing it is to concentrate on a piece of rock for awhile. Keeping one's knapping bucket close to hand is wisdom. Rock addiction is just something you live with.   '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 09:47:08 pm »
I've been giving a lot of thought to giving it a try...if it's good stress relief, I could definitely use that about now! :)
Greg
You'll love it.  If you learn to knap as well as you make bows you will be in those calenders.  Added bonus is you have a great teacher handy.  Right Jesse ;).  Be warned if you start you're sure to become another rock junkie.
Traverse City, MI

Offline redwasp

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 09:32:44 pm »
it relieves stress until, you sling a bopper who knows where, because your finger is covered in blood or throbbing or both lmao.  However looking back at my first points makes me realize " I must be insane" what kinda idiot enjoys this torture?  um um um ME. Great googely moogely.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 08:30:30 am »
Wayne.... ;D

I've loved making bows so much that I've been afraid to start attempting to make points that would take away from my time with bow making. I've been very fortunate to have a mentor like Pappy and others on the bow making, and realize that Jesse would be the same type of mentor with knapping. I've been watching others for years, but have been holding off and trying to improve my bowyering. I may have to give it a try. I really do respect all you guys that are knapping and are either old hands at it or really making good progress.

Rick, thanks for the compliment! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 03:54:42 pm »

GregB, you need to look at it as , now you can go totally paleo, and make a bow, and arrows, using strictly paleo tools, and material.  And you are extremely fortunate, in having Jesse there to lead you past the "chopsticks" section of learning.  You will be light years ahead, with a mentor there to show you how, to do the proper angles, platforms, etc.  8) You are very fortunate in that.  Go for it.  You have a lot of valuable resources at your beck and call.  Enjoy! :)

Wayne

Offline sailordad

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 06:07:20 pm »
Greg, i say go for it
if i can do it with out the help from any other knapper(s)
just think of what you can do with a mentor like Jesse
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd