Author Topic: Hunting deer with selfbows?  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Bentstick81

Hunting deer with selfbows?
« on: November 08, 2009, 07:42:52 pm »
  Been hunting with recurves for approx. 13 years. Using my selfbow now, and was wanting to know what distance do you guys try and set up for a shot at deer? I feel that mine is 18 paces. The arrow is slower out of the selfbow, and that made me shorten my distance. My selfbow is 46# at my draw.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Hunting deer with selfbows?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 07:51:49 pm »
And what do you consider a Pace? My Paces when measured with a Tape Measure are nearly a Yard Long...so I would no trouble trying to shoot a deer with My Selfbow at 18 paces....the Buck I got this Year was at 29 yards...so good luck
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline boo

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 07:57:30 pm »
Ive been setting up for my ,"furthest" accurate shot. Which is 15 yrds, but i can shoot out to 20 yrds with no problems. If 18 yrds is your money shot then thats what i would go with. As far as the speed of the bow deciding the yardage, i wouldnt worry about it. Just shoot what yardage you are confident at.
Boo

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:12:16 pm »
I shoot  large  game  within 25 yards,  which  is  what  I  routinely practise with  on  targets, whatever  range  you can consistently  put  an  arrow  in:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 08:26:24 pm »
   The arrow is slower out of the selfbow, and that made me shorten my distance. My selfbow is 46# at my draw.
I put no limits on a selfbow, but I do have a few myself.
Closer is better. I practice out to 40 yards, although I would never shoot that long hunting. 

Hunting for me is a competition between my senses and the animals senses. I like to get as close as possible. I would rather get to 3 yards spot and stock and not get a shot, than to harvest but wonder if I could have gotten closer. Hunting just has so little to do with killing for me. If you have ever been so close to a wild 6 point bull elk that you could reach out and touch him , or just layed there and watched 2 bulls fight at 15 yards, you know real excitement.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 08:54:59 pm »
  El Destructo, sorry about the "paces" bit, LOL. I don't use yardage when i shoot. I just count my paces to decide my distance. I'm pretty much cut out of the old style. Just wanted to see how the selfbow shooters set up for hunting. Justin, i am like you. I like my animals close. I just enjoy being out in the woods.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 12:54:45 am »
12 to 15 yards is my ideal distance(my pace!  ;D ). I would shoot out to 25 yards under the right circumstances but would prefer a closer shot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:23:06 pm »
Given a quick, quiet bow, I could easily put an arrow into a kill zone at 40 or so yards. That being said, this year's hunting bow wasn't the best, so I didn't plan on any shot farther than 25.

I regurlarly practice out to long ranges. If the bow is quick enough, anything short of point on should be a reasonable shot.

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 02:48:59 pm »
 I'm like Pat 10 to 15 yds, I do practice out to 40 and have made shots at 60. At the time I was confident and practiced shooting at that range.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Iukee

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 06:13:43 pm »
Justin-My sentiments exactly, I do a great deal of stump shooting out to 50yds. If it feels right, it is right. A good selfbow will do all i need done.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 08:29:03 am »
My prefered range is 18 yards and under but I will take a longer shot now and then if I think I can get'er done.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....