Author Topic: 3rd Annual Christmas Trade Revised  (Read 174742 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: 3rd Annual Christmas Trade Revised
« Reply #555 on: January 11, 2010, 05:08:12 pm »
 Wow, The UPS man just came by and I was floored when he walked up with a long slender package from Joel aka (Deerhunter).
 I first met Joel last year at our Central Oregon Rendezvous. I was impressed with this mans diligence and methodical patience. He worked relentlessly on a yew stave for three days and had one of the nicest looking bows in the works over the weekend. Unfortunately there was a hidden flaw in the stave and the bow blew up in the last stages of tillering. My heart broke for him especially with all his diligence and he had such a good attitude about it.
  So To open a box and see the hit of a real nice tip with cherry bark backing I was floored and humbled.  As I pulled it out and started to gaze upon what I was seeing, I instantly knew the time, dedication and heart that Joel had put into this gift for me.  I must say I am very impressed with his bowyer skills. The tiller is perfect, and the bark backing is absolutely beautiful.
 I will get some pics up as soon as I can.   Joel this will be a very cherished gift. Thank you my friend.   Keenan

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:59:10 pm by Keenan »

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #556 on: January 12, 2010, 12:56:32 am »
I heard from Cowboy that he received his gift a while ago so I figured i would post some photos of what I sent. It's a turkey pot call, bronze glass playing surface over slate soundboard (i heard the slate soundboard came loose during shipping, hopefully it can be fixed). The pot itself is made from spalted oak. The striker has a curly hickory shaft with figured walnut handle. This was my first turkey call and I'm very pleased with how it came out. Hopefully Cowboy can use it to call in a big gobbler.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #557 on: January 12, 2010, 01:19:27 am »
Keenan, Im glad it got to you in one piece, and it was an honor to make it for you. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #558 on: January 12, 2010, 09:31:30 am »
I received an extremely nice and well made wool bow sock from Coyote088 (Cathy) yesterday. I'll try and post a picture soon...
Again, thank you so much for the bow sock Cathy, and I'll definitely put it to good use! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Cromm

« Reply #559 on: January 12, 2010, 10:06:32 am »
Hi all,
I got my gift from Hawkbow today and it is great. A knife and sheath, arrow heads and two PA Mags with some hand written messages from Hawk inside.
Thanks Hawk will post pics later today.
Great going everyone!!!
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #560 on: January 12, 2010, 12:18:43 pm »
Thanks for posting that Jason and thanks for the gift! It's a working work of art and even though I don't speak that lingo it sound just like a turkey to me ;D. I'll follow up with a couple more pic's soon's I can find someone to take some with my mug in it ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #561 on: January 12, 2010, 10:30:23 pm »
These are the gifts that Hillbilly sent me.  The quiver is stained bamboo and the knife is obsidian.  The quiver was perfect as I lost my last one and never bothered to replace it.   ;D  The knife will go on display.  Thanks again!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline woodstick

« Reply #562 on: January 12, 2010, 10:59:51 pm »
nice all good work.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #563 on: January 13, 2010, 12:22:44 am »
Great gifts.  Not sure why the one that I sent mine too has not shown up, but he did receive it and just sharing what I sent out. I sent him six cane arrows, self nocks, trukey fletching, hand wrapped in sinew and a lakota style quiver.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #564 on: January 13, 2010, 12:25:23 am »
Man ...I hope that I draw You next Year....them are some fine Arrows...and I would Kill for a Plains Quiver....... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #565 on: January 13, 2010, 01:57:36 am »
very cool gifts everyone
glad i was part of the trade again this year

mike i thought that was your handy work on that knife

jt awesome pot call,we need to talk  ;) if you havent heard i am a freak for turkey hunting/calls etc.
pm me please

stringstretcher beautiful arrows and awesome quiver
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #566 on: January 13, 2010, 02:07:16 am »
Thanks Tim...that was my first stab at Damascus...quite a Bit different than Carbon or Stainless Steel...You need to learn how to etch with Acid to bring out the Pattern...I bought that Blank from Tennessee last year....got two Blades from it
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #567 on: January 13, 2010, 01:40:37 pm »
 Wow, everyone really put forth an awesome effort this year great job guys.

Here are some pics of the bow that I got from Joel (Deerhunter)
The bow appears to be hazelnut withthe bark left on. I have not run the specs yet because I have just a little sanding and finish to put on. He left me a little room to work with for my poundage and it feels real close to my draw weight. So as soon as I get it final sanded and finished I'll post of some more pics and specs. Joel did a great job on the tiller and I've shot it a few times and was very impressed. Great bow Joel,Thank you.

Offline Dane

« Reply #568 on: January 13, 2010, 07:25:45 pm »
I am just blown away by the generosity and talent from this community. It is an honor to be a small part of it.

I am assuming that there will be a trade next Christmas? I vote yes.

I also hope there will be a feature article on this trade for an upcoming PA.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline DanaM

« Reply #569 on: January 13, 2010, 07:36:40 pm »
I think many of you know what all went down this year with the Christmas Trade and myself but I want to say that you all have done a great job and made this one the best yet. Congrats to all of you involved and Sarah you've done a bang up job organizing it keeping it moving along smoothly. Hope you all participate in next years event.

Hope  everyone can find forgiveness in their hearts and ya all have my deepest apologies for my words and actions. Hope the New Year brings everyone good fortune :)

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI