Author Topic: Artificial Sinew  (Read 21893 times)

Offline zeNBowyer

Artificial Sinew
« on: October 23, 2009, 05:42:45 am »
Looking around  at my  local  leather  shop  for  some  sinew  and  what  not,   which  they  didn't  have  but did  buy  some  artificial  sinew to  try  for  wrapping tips on  my  bamboo  arrows, the  saleslady said  it  was  processed from  animal  gut so  I  was  interested,
   according  to  my  research however  it  appears  to  be  nylon, no  matter, very  strong and  looks  a  very  pleasing tan color,  however I  am  wondering  if  the  wax  coating is  going to  prevent  a  good  bond when  glue/epoxy  is  applied, anyone  use  this  stuff?

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?products_id=665

[attachment deleted by admin]
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Artificial Sinew
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 05:54:08 am »
I have used it and it dose ok,not as good as backstrap sinew but better than most other stuff I have used.I always split it down to make it thinner it seem to work better that way.I haven't had any problem sealing over it with tru oil,witch is about all I use.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 09:26:25 am »
I have used artificial sinew for wraps on bows and arrows.To seal it or set it I generally use super glue but sometimes TBIII.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

coyote pup

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:57:51 am »
The wax coating can be quite thick and as you suspect, does weaken the adherence to wood or glue. Not that it won't work - just that what you suspect is correct.

Shadow Walker

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 11:31:28 am »
As pappy said,,, split it down. You should be able to get six thin strands when you split it. I use it a lot for sewing hide and have even braided it for dowstrings.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 11:52:08 am »
I've used it to attach stone heads, and it worked OK. I used a 2 part epoxy which was fine. It also looks decently authentic.

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 02:30:31 pm »
I only use it as a last resort, or if I'm just making some crap arrows that I don't care about and I am willing to lose.  Sinew is much better because it makes a much stronger bond due to it shrinking when it dries. I just can't get as tight of a bond with art. sinew as I can with real sinew.  So much for modern technology....

But if the fake stuff is all you've got, then use it.  And like everyone said, the strands are quite big, but you can split it down into much smaller strands that make a neater wrapping job.  It is waterproof, which is a big advantage over real sinew.   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 03:16:54 pm »
You can also order it in different poundage  So the number of times it will split down can vary.. If you get the 15# spool you wont have to split it at all..

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 04:01:04 pm »
I never use it any more but when I did I worried about the glue bonding to it, I thinned as mentioned and washed in acetone and had decent results. I would just order some backstrap sinue from someone who sells it or harvest some from a deer harvest or roadkill. you will really like the genuine stuff, but the artifical stuff will get you by till then.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 05:57:33 pm »
 Save yourself some money and use unwaxed dental floss if you are just going to wrap points. I get mine for free from the Dentist. There is also unwaxed artificial sinew. I bought a roll at the Classic this year.

If you use the waxed version, I lust wipe it real good with a rag, wrap the point and apply super glue to the thread. It soaks in real good as it dissolves the remaining wax.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Scowler

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 07:27:43 pm »
I use it for re-enforcing self nocks and tying on feathers.  I put a coat of Barge cement over the wrappings and it works quite well.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 11:00:39 pm »
I have 2 sizes. One for wrapping and one(thicker) for sewing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline scattershot

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 12:30:26 pm »

I use it sometimes. I usually just wrap it tightly and rub in the direction of the wrap to melt the wax. You can also apply a thin coat of epoxy.

Good luck!
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 01:01:02 pm »
I  like  the  way  you  did  your  nocks,  but I  think  recessing the  sides  that  little  bit weakens  a  crucial  part  of  the  nock,  though  aesthetically  they  look  great
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 01:01:38 pm »
I only used it once. I got so frustrated that I wont use it again. It is still on, but I tied a half hitch when I got to the end then just used the glue to stop the knot from slipping.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah