Author Topic: How to build your own arrows ?  (Read 2991 times)

Offline fabber39

How to build your own arrows ?
« on: October 28, 2009, 07:53:02 pm »
Hey people !!
fabber39 here, I'm not a newbie, just a long time since I been here! I remember an article in Primitave Archer about a homemade jig for making arrows. It was in latter part of 02, or early part of 03. I misplaced my old copies, (buried underneath a plie of stuff), it had a piece of metal with a hole in it, with a guy standing behind it with a drill, and a piece of dowel in the drill. Trying to get back into trad hunting, looking to make my own arrows, and shoot them out of my redoak bow that's been sitting on a shelf in my shop. A 72", 45# either hand longbow, that i built for a nephew that didn't have the time to learn to shoot it. So I'm gonna take it, put a new backing material on it, and go from there.
the fabber39
listen me ramble on!!!!

Offline PeteC

Re: How to build your own arrows ?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 09:31:24 pm »
fabber,I remember the article but never tried it.I have used the metal slat with gradually decreasing hole sizes drilled in succession.You then take shoots,and tap them thru the holes with a maul.It works pretty good. Another good jig I built clamps to your router,then you run your 3/8"blank thru the router with a drill.I know you can find one linked to this site.Then finally,do you have switch cane or river cane growing near you?.It makes the best self arrows of all,and it's naturally shaped just right ,tapered.Is easily straightened with heat,then stays straight.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 11:11:12 pm »
I believe you are referring to a draw plate; a metal plate with a series of holes of graduated sizes. You start at the largest hole and drive the stock through. Then move to the next size down and so on.
  Another option is sawing out 3/8" square stock. Remove the 4 corners with a plane. Then remove the 8 corners. Now, if the diameter is correct, you can sand the shafts round.
  Cane or hardwood shoots are a good cheap option also for arrows.  I believe George Tsoukalas has info on all of these arrow making methods on his website or check out the How To section here on PA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:48:29 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline fabber39

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 12:06:23 pm »
JAWGE !!!!!!
I built my first bows from your inspiration, and website. I haven't visited this site for awhile. I see it has changed, 02 & 03 was when I was a member, been awhile. Glad to see some of the ELDERs are still here!!
the fabber39

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 07:18:07 pm »
I am glad to hear that, fabber, and welcome back. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!