Author Topic: Bone Arrows?  (Read 4065 times)

Offline bushman

Bone Arrows?
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:32:51 pm »
Has anyone tried to make arrows from bones? If you have what type of animal and what bones did you use? How did you join the bones together if they weren’t long enough to make an arrow? I have though of using the leg bones from cattle, moose and elk. First I need to get the bones before I can try it. I though of just cutting them into strips, rounding them down and to join two together to make a longer arrow just make a hole in the end of one and tapered the end of another one and stick them together and rap the joint with sinue. Anyone else of some different ideas? Thanks.
Bushman

Offline markinengland

Re: Bone Arrows?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:53:24 pm »
I don't think I have ever heard of any culture including the Inuit making bone arrows.

Mark

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:13:13 pm »
Seems like a lot of work for no real advantage except that it would just be cool. Seems like bone would be pretty brittle.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:27:59 pm »
Seems like bone would be pretty brittle.

And quite heavy
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 10:42:54 pm »
Points maybe, arrows no.....
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline bushman

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 12:01:10 am »
Mark, I have seen a few pictures of arrows from the Inuit that where half bone and half wood. They used those type of arrow for shooting seals with a form of a harpoon tip on it.

Marc St Louis and Hillbilly, It would be heavy yes, but I was planning on using it for fishing, since the arrows they sell for shooting fish are sold fiberglass thought that would be heavy as well.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 07:49:11 am »
We want to see pics when you're done.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 09:53:25 am »
verry seriously doubt it would work. if you had solid bone 28 inches long, maby, but i dont see how you could get a solid joint in a piece of bone that small.
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 10:13:41 am »
I haven't found much information yet. Reading on a couple of Quebec museum and university websites, there were some arrows made from bone lashed together. More often the arrows were made with drift wood shafts, and bone or ivory foreshafts. All of the arrows were very short because of the scarcity of material. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 12:01:13 am »
A couple years back I saw a documentary on the polar Inuit (reaaaaaaaaally far up north) and there were some hunters using bone arrows on musk oxen.  It was a reenactment though... 

A heavy arrow would work best with a short, heavy draw.  A bit like a crossbow.

You could probably get nice long pieces from the metatarsal/metacarpal or the tibia on moose, elk or caribou.  A very straight section of antler could do the trick, it's bone too.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 09:49:52 pm »
To tell the truth, I really like to the sound of a bone/wood arrow. I would love to give it a go.

If you've got the bone, or can get it, I would say try it. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work out the way you wanted it to.
It sounds like it would work well for fishing, providing that you can get it together.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.