Author Topic: Knappable Rock In Virginia???  (Read 9586 times)

CodyCoyote

Knappable Rock In Virginia???
« on: October 30, 2009, 07:47:34 am »
What knappable rock is in virginia? I dont have the money to buy more and more and i like rock more than glass, also are there any knapp-in's in central virginia.

Offline billy

Re: Knappable Rock In Virginia???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 11:30:16 am »
Hey Cody,

There is a type of tough jasper found near Front Royal, though I don't know exactly where.  That's where famed flintknapper Scott Silsby lives, and I remember he made an arrow point out of that raw jasper once.  She tied onto an arrow and shot it into a tree and only the very tip broke off!  It can be heat treated, but in its raw form it is VERY tough and isn't good for a beginner or even an amateur.  I know the natives used quartz a lot, and I have found several points from VA made of quartz.  You have some high quality quartz in some areas, so maybe you might want to try that. I've also heard of a jasper found in eastern PA, though, again, I'm not sure of location specifics.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline StevenT

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:34:03 pm »
Cody,
I would be interested myself. I live in Chesapeake, VA and we don't have squat for rock here. What part of VA do you live?

CodyCoyote

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 03:38:53 pm »
In prince edward area. I've tried quartz toughest thing ive ever seen.

Offline arappaho

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 10:27:22 pm »
Hey Cody,
There are some nice minerals in your area. Do you know of any amethyst sources in your area?

I've been wanting to get up into your area and do more rockhounding, but haven't made
much time for it yet. Knapping material in your area, and most of Virginia for that matter,
is usually some tough stuff. Mostly jaspers, cherts, and quartzites. Our NC rhyolite seems to
peter out north of the Roanoke River, in quality anyway. The jaspers were usually collected
from creek and river beds as cobbles. These cobbles were especially utilized down SteveTs'
way, ie; along the coast. The method of cracking into the cobbles is called "bi-polar", where
you set the cobble up long ways on an anvil and strike it from the top to try and flake or
break it down its length giving you some edges to start working with. Real hard way to go.
The quartzites aren't much easier.
The cherts are probably your best bet. I've seen a few nice looking types but, like I said,
just haven't found the time to get up there and look around much. Just because you know
"where" to go, doesn't mean you are going to "find" it, or be able to "get" it. ;) I enjoy
hunting rocks, but research, travel, and collecting are time consuming. One nice thing about
knapping material over other semi-precious type stones, is that when and if you do find a
source and it's on Private Property, it doesn't have much value to the property owners so
it is usually easy to get permission to collect. It may cost you a point you make out of the stuff.

Anyway, don't mean to rattle on too much here, so this is about the best site I've found for info on
VA lithic sources.

http://www.storiespast.com/client/LPC/Lithics/references.xml

Click on Lithics there next to Main Menu and that will give a list of some types.
For instance go down and click on Bolster Store chert. That's a pretty well known one.

Hope this helps some.
Happy Hunting,  Joe

CodyCoyote

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 11:24:00 am »
Where at is the bolsters store chert, do you know of an area it is or do i just need to wing it?

Offline arappaho

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 06:20:55 pm »
Nope, Cody, I have not tried looking for it yet.
Go to the site I posted above and click on "Lithics" in the Sub-menu.
That will give you a list of 47 lithic materials found at archaeological sites in VA.
Not all of them orginate in VA, but there is some info that might help you
get started looking for material. Check out the "Black Chert" and
"Roanoke Area Chert" too.
To find rocks you have to study the geology of your area.
Good Luck,  Joe