Author Topic: How to Finish Tip and Handle Overlays ??  (Read 2817 times)

Offline barebo

How to Finish Tip and Handle Overlays ??
« on: November 09, 2009, 05:45:08 am »
I hope that someone can set me straight on this, as I really want to put some nice Black Walnut overlays on my Hickory backed Ash longbow that I just cut out. How do you sand the overlays so that they make a smooth transition to the back without getting sanding marks in the back itself ??? I saw a build along that showed masking tape to prevent glue from smearing, but wonder if I should sand the tapers prior to glue up ?? How do you guys do it ??? Any hints appreciated !!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: How to Finish Tip and Handle Overlays ??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 07:09:03 am »
I sand them down before,then put some tape just for the final finishing. Notice the tapper on the first picture and the tape on the second. :) Hope this helps.
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:05:28 am »
I always pre-taper mine before gluing them on also. You will have to do some very carefull sanding after they are glued, but you can limit it this way.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:29:48 pm »
Well, I would use a harder wood than black walnut. Or horn, bone or antler...
I also have a thread in the how-to section about tip overlays if you want to check it out!
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 01:31:25 pm »
Ps: I never pre-shape them (except antler); once they are glued I rough them out with the bandsaw these days...
Frank from Germany...

Offline barebo

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 06:29:02 pm »
I do have a piece of Osage, and that's probably a better choice for the tips. I do think that I'll run a strip of Walnut along the back of the handle though. Thanks for the help folks, appreciate it. Now I'm off to the "how to" section!!!

Offline barebo

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 06:51:04 pm »
Medicinewheel, I just checked out your tip tutorial - superb craftsmanship !!! There is a bow just before the Osage with snakeskins.
It looks to have a rounded belly like an English longbow, but doesn't look like yew?? Could you tell me what wood that bow is, what backing also?? I have my Hickory backed Ash cut out, and am wondering if I could attempt a rounded belly, or stick with a flat belly??

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 02:47:45 am »

That is an Elb style hickory backed jatoba, aka Brazilian cherry, much harder than ash; stay with the flat belly on your ash, and make it wide enough, you'll sure end up with a better bow.
Yes, osage is much better for the purpose, maybe have a thin layer BW under the osage, or crown the osage with it, but let the osage do the job!
BW for handle overlay would be nice for sure, and no problem!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline barebo

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:46:48 am »
WOW!!!! Your work is certainly something to aspire to !! I cut the Hickory backed Ash with a straight taper. 1.5" at the fades to just under 1/2" tips. 72" long. Left plenty of material on the belly. I'll try to post som pics soon of the 2 very different Ash bows from the same log. Thanks very much for your guidance.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 06:44:46 am »
Thanks Barebo! If I can help, ask anytime!
Good luck with your project!
Frank from Germany...