Author Topic: Need to find rock!  (Read 3882 times)

Offline mspink

Need to find rock!
« on: November 14, 2009, 09:23:30 pm »
I live on fairchild afb near Spokane wa. Where can I find some stone to knap with? Are any of you around this area? Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks..
Aim small miss small!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Need to find rock!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:15:59 pm »
I don't know but aughta be some obsidian up that way somewhere. Somebody'll chime in that's up there.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 11:41:15 pm »
 Get a hold of Brian Melton. He sends me jasper, dacite, obsidian and opal all the time from there. He lives in Montesano.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Newbow

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 03:41:32 am »
All the Northwest knappers I know of get their rock from eastern Oregon; mainly, Glass Buttes, though there are a number of other sites.  Craig Ratzat suggested using the books Gem Trails of Washington & Gem Trails of Oregon as guides to possible knappable rock sources.  There is petrified wood available near Mattawa (I90 to the Columbia gorge, south on 243 then 2 miles east, then north on R road up near the microwave tower.  Don't go in a sedan!).   There is an obsidian source map (http://www.sourcecatalog.com/) on the web, but I'm lead to understand that all of the sites listed for Washington are just bits and pieces.  The name Source Map is misleading for a knapper as the purpose of the map is to allow archeologists to identify where a piece of obsidian came from and the spots listed, for Washington anyway, are mostly where it wound up and are not primary.

Mullet:  I live about 10 miles from Montesano.  How does one get in touch with Brian Melton?  I didn't see a phone listing for him.

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 12:30:25 pm »
howdy, I live in Ilwaco (near astoria) and I'd be happy to give you some obsidian (if you pay the postage) . I'll send you a map of glass buttes too if you like. Newbow- that goes for you too or if you're ever in the area, stop by my place. The glass buttes knap in in march is a great event you could both attend.PM me.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 03:13:02 pm »
  Here you go, newbow  360-482-0720
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Newbow

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 01:04:38 am »
Arron:  Check your PM.

Eddie:  Thanks.  I'll give him a shout.

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 03:46:21 am »
email Jason Hinkle on Oregon. He is selling obsidian for like $15-20 for a full flat rate box and that includes shipping. He has a number of mines in the area. he was advertising on another forum that he had new stuff. heres his website

http://www.oregonthundereggs.com/

heres the post he made last week or so and he still has TONS of it left it come out to less than $1 a pound. He has some great deal.I have dealt with him for about 4 years now.I dont knap but we deal with lapidary stuff

rockhound9705

Thundereggs - Oregons Official State Rock!

Obsidian Rough Flat Rate Boxes for sale
« Thread Started on Nov 7, 2009, 11:55pm »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK - afraid I don't have pictures "yet" but I've been selling flat rate boxes of Obsidian rough for the last week on some flintknapping sites. But thought maybe I'd share a few with you folks!

The deal is - $19.00 for a Medium Flate Rate or $26.00 for the large Flate Rate, stuffed full of Rough Obsidian and shipped to your door for the price listed above. The deal is - These chunks are rough, some might have one face cut... They might have spalls broke off, however all of it is great usable material. Pieces range from a few inches in size, to 15lb chunks! The material mostly came from Glass Butte, Oregon, however there might be of localities as well. The variety comes in Silver Sheen, Gold Sheen, Mahogany, Lace, Black and more!

Also afraid I don't have the time to pick and choose material to meet your needs. I pack these straight from buckets and pack them to squeeze as much material as possible! The last large flat rate I shipped 2 days ago had 41 Pounds of obsidian in it! but they usually hover around the 35# +/- for the large and 25#+/- for the medium flat rate

Shoot me a PM if you'd like one or a dozen lol.

Jason

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:56:19 am by jcinpc »

brian melton

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 07:52:24 pm »
Newbow give me a call....Brian