Author Topic: Rock saw  (Read 2764 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Rock saw
« on: November 14, 2009, 08:09:14 pm »
Where can I get a rock saw????? Would a tile saw with a different blade or a diamond blade work???? Also I need to find one at a decent price. Money is tight this time of year. Any ideas???
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Rock saw
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:29:04 pm »
A tile saw works pretty good for dacite and obsidian and those square liquor bottles.  I tried some pedernales and georgetown on it and it was a very slow and tedious process.  That was the cheapest one at Lowes with a good blade.  Good luck.

I forgot something.  It works really good with the soapstone, but does make a large white mess.

Offline nugget

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:31:38 pm »
I have a tile saw, just need a proper blade. What is a good blade to get?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:36:57 pm »
I think mine is a Dewalt Diamond blade.

Offline nugget

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 08:42:50 pm »
OK,  I will see what mine has. I figure Lowes would have the blade you are talking about.

Offline piper

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:43:52 pm »
Nugget there (lowes) blades are too thick...Try http://www.kingsleynorth.com/  they are not cheap...What do you need to cut...I have a big old 24" saw it's not very fast but it is paid for...Come on down to the house some time...

Curt
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:43:59 pm »
 A lot of tile saws will cut harder stone if you can slow down the RPM's and use cutting lube.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Newbow

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 03:01:56 am »
There was a discussion over on the PP bulletin board about this very thing recently.  They were discussing a 10" brick saw that was on sale but' more to the point, they also talked about and sourced suitable blades to use to cut rock with one.  The page is located at:
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/29945/t/0-inch-brick-saw-finally-on-sale-again.html