Author Topic: sigh. trying again *pics*  (Read 14362 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: sigh. trying again *pics*
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2009, 12:13:00 pm »
Yeah, that's a bad habit carrying a can of Copenhagen in your back pocket. It squarshes it when you sit down on it. It's a much better habit to carry your Cope in your front pocket where it stays safe. ;D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2009, 09:31:22 am »
Yeah, that's a bad habit carrying a can of Copenhagen in your back pocket. It squarshes it when you sit down on it. It's a much better habit to carry your Cope in your front pocket where it stays safe. ;D ;D

lol  ;D
only ever had one bust on me and that was on a roller coster. i smelled like wintergreen for the rest of the night.  :-\
lets just shoot it

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2009, 11:48:44 am »
Howdy Recurve Shooter and all others,

Regarding the bandsaw, I picked up a book on tuning my little, cheap, ol' bandsaw.  The book is 'The Bandsaw Book' by Loone Bird.  It does say that a higher quality, sharp blade is key.  It also talks about balancing, tension, and blade guides, etc.  I found it very helpful.

Since I have to carry the bandsaw up the basement stairs and outside each time I want to use it, I often opt to just go at it with my spoke shave instead.

All the Best,
Canoe

BTW, I had a coworker who used to chew a lot.  Before he died, they removed his cheek, lip, jaw...  (I'm not sure he actually died or they put him out of his misery!)    But, good luck with that.  ;)
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline SSGN_Doc

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 06:47:55 pm »
I've tried a couple of red oak board bows.  My first was a success, but cam in very light (25# @26").  My second was a kids bow for my daughter that cracked just as I was stringing it after my last tiller adjustment removing a hinge.

I found a different online build-along for a pyramid bow that used a 1x4 red oak board and ended up with a 68" (67" ntn bow that draws 52lbs @ 26" and is a flat shooter, but it is bulky in that it is 3" wide at the fades and tapers to 1/2" at the tips.  The limb thickness ended up being a uniform 13/32".)  It also uses glued on recurves that worked out really well.  It offeres a different soulution to the problem of building a durable bow that is heavy and is made from lumber that you can acquire readily and at a reasonable price. (Though not as elegant as a thin limbed longbow, pretty is as pretty does.)

A buddy made one on the same pattern but made his limbs thinner to get a 45 lb bow.  We're 2 for two on success with this design.

It is a sweet shooter that puts arrows where I look and sends an arrow on a pretty flat trajectory.

Under $12 in lumber.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2009, 09:27:35 pm »
Are you talking about this post by 4est Trekker at Trad Gang.com?  I was tempted to try it myself except the tool requirements exceed my grasp at the moment.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=002064
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline SSGN_Doc

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009, 10:04:56 pm »
Yes, that is the thread.  There are dimensions in there for other draw weights.  My buddy has a bandsaw.  The rest of ours was done with a ferriers rasp, or a sureform rasp, and sanding.  The build along works out pretty well though.  I was extra generous in leaving extra wood on my bow, because I doubt my skills with the bandsaw.

The glue on recurves were one of the more intriguing features of this build and they work out great.  I need to work on my attention to detail, and I could probably get the ends to blend in better with the back of the limbs.   

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:17:18 pm by SSGN_Doc »

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 12:09:42 am »
My hat is off to you sir!  My hair is coming off too, but for reasons unrelated to your successful bow build.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline NTD

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2009, 03:11:30 am »
That's a fine looking bow SSG Doc!  Good Job!

Nate
Nate Danforth