Author Topic: Lightest Poundage with selfbows?  (Read 7804 times)

Offline Bentstick81

Lightest Poundage with selfbows?
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:15:57 pm »
  I have a 46# @28' hickory boardbow that i'm deer hunting with. I shoot a more or less, floating type anchor. So i know that sometimes i may not get the full 46# while hunting. The minimum weight for my state is 40#. Just wanted to hear what the lightest weight self (board) bow everyone has taken deer with? This is my first year deer hunting with a bow i made for myself. I've been using recurves for approx. 13 years. Thanks.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Lightest Poundage with selfbows?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:39:52 am »
I have taken them with a 45@26 but I don't always get to full draw so I am sure it was less,
didn't get a pass through but killed the deer just the same. :)
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:33:47 am »
 Thanks pappy. Looks like we are the only ones who use lighter poundage bows.  ;D I pretty much have to due to my tendonitis in both elbows. That stuuf is no fun at all. >:(

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:14:29 am »
Well I haven't used anything lighter than 48# but I got a pass through with that bow.  I wouldn't worry about it. It's all about shot placement. It doesn't take much to put a sharp arrow into a deers rib cage.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 01:26:47 pm »
You're not the only one shooting lighter weights. Quite the contrary. Heavy weight hunting bow shooters are the freaks ;D

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 02:56:58 pm »
I shoot and hunt with 42 lbs.  Have never had penatration problems when put in the rib cage.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 02:19:07 pm »
I made a kid's bow outa a hickory board, came in at 32#, 48" nock to nock, had a set of 23 inch poplar arrows that were 5/16th shafts.  The kid that got it shot a lot of cottontails with it and his father glued on a broadhead and shot a small doe at 10 yds.  Broke a rib going in, didn't get pass-through, but the deer ran over to the tree row behind the barn and died in a few minutes.

I do not and will not recommend ANYONE AT ANYTIME go lower than a 40# bow for hunting deer. That idiot got lucky.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 08:04:19 pm »
They say with age comes wisdom, I used to shoot heavier bows fifty's and sixty some pounds. But as I have gotten older and the problems with age ,set in arthritis ,tendinitis,and all the irises . Coupled with siting in a tree stand for hours on end in thirty some degree weather with the cold air blowing down your neck and then that deer walks in at the wrong spot and you have to draw. It is allot more easer to shoot a forty five pound bow ,so thats what I have been shooting for the last four years.
                       Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 11:39:32 pm »
I haven't yet taken blood with one of my self bows but I do have to say that the bow I am working on for my grandpa is 40 @ 28 and it is just as quick with its slightly static tips if not quicker than my 75@28 hunting longbow...and it is much more accurate too...I may have to make myself one with the same stats for next years season...im almost sure that i could get a full pass through with good shot placement.

-Ky
GBR!

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 10:22:57 pm »
I've hunted with a 40 # self bow but haven't gotten the opportunity to take a deer with it...yet.  I honestly believe that the most important factor is shot placement....period.  I've made 30# lb. bows that shoot surprisingly fast, and I believe that if the arrows were tipped with small, sharp stone points that even a 30 pounder would be effective on a deer at close range.  However, I would shoot at least 40 lbs. just to buy you some added insurance in case the shot doesn't hit where you want it to. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 10:59:39 pm »
I got a pass through on a doe with a 46# self bow. Hit her in the center of the rib cage and the arrow exited her off side arm pit.
 I've killed several with a 40# FG recurve...an old slow one too.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 03:24:36 am »
I would like to see anybody tell Ron Laclaires wife,that she is just lucky,to take deer every year with her less than 40 lb bows.That woman has probably killed more deer than just about anyone on this site.Better yet,id like to see anybody call her an Idiot and leave there with their teeth.LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline TBod

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 12:21:27 pm »
Intersting post.

How about 150 fps with a 500 grain arrow. Is that enough? Thats possible with an effective 40# right?

Offline Traxx

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 11:00:14 pm »
Yes,that would be enough,but that would be a very efficient 40 lber.